Left for two minutes and 7 month old m1 macbook air screen cracked underneath the glass with colored lines going both horizontally and vertically

Today I put down my laptop on my desk to brush my teeth and when I came back from the bathroom I opened up my laptop and their we're horizontal and vertical lines colored lines that we're flickering all over the screen. As the day progressed the lines got worse and worse and now my screen is completely black and not usable with the lines still being apparent. I have always had my laptop in a sleeve cover when not using it and clean it regularly so I doubt their was any debris on my keyboard. I purchased this laptop in late February this year which I saved up for a long time minimum wage job. I'm in my first year of university studying computer science in the middle of my second semester have been left stranded by apple. Talk about apple supporting students studying stem :( I went to the apple store on the same day to be told by the technician that it was my fault and their is nothing that they can do even though I still have 5 months left of warranty. Also my friend had the same issue and got his replaced for free. I was told I would need to pay a whopping $759 aud which I simply can't afford and is absolute absurd consididring I paid around $1300 earlier this year. I've seen 100s of the same incident happening to people all over the world with these m1 macbooks and have also heard of the class action. The main reason I bought a macbook is because of their well known reputation of having some of the best technical support in the world and so far my experience has been nothing close. How can such a large company not consider this to be a defect when it is happening to people every single day. I look after my belongings and this was my first personal laptop which is my most prized possession. I'm still hoping that apple can do the right thing which they have done to other people. Looking forward to hearing back from apple and I will make sure to keep you guys updated also let me know if you had the same problem and what you did. Kind regards Jerome

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 4:17 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 22, 2023 4:54 AM in response to RealJerrome

I'd start by asking your friend what he did to get them to replace it for nothing. AppleCare+ covers such damage, but there is a fee associated with it.

It's difficult to get to the bottom of these reports. Many (most?) of them are caused by user-inflicted damage such as using a screen protector, case cover, keyboard cover, camera cover or something else Apple admonishes us not to use. All of them are notorious for causing damage, but AppleCare+ covers it for a fee of $99 US.

But I do not know of a single instance in which someone took a Mac to Apple and had them fix it for free, not without some other kind mitigating factor involved. If his situation was literally as simple as that, it would be a first.

In any event the best your fellow Apple users on this site will be able to do is lend a sympathetic ear. That won't help fix your Mac.

Left for two minutes and 7 month old m1 macbook air screen cracked underneath the glass with colored lines going both horizontally and vertically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.