Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

CarPlay iOS17 not working

So since I did the iOS 17 update, CarPlay no longer works. I have reset the settings on my phone, my car, went through every step I found online and I have installed the most recent bug fix. So I am at a loss and I am assuming when my iPhone 15 Pro Max gets here today that I will still have the problem

Current phone: iPhone 14 Pro Max

Car 2023 Honda Accord Hybrid

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 4:25 AM

Okay, so far on iPhone 13 Pro Max after iOS 17, 17.1.2 and 17.2 updates CarPlay doesn't work on 2021 SYNC3 Mustang, 2024 Opel SUV Hybrid in Europe, and on external screen device link with bluetooth. I can pair, verify, load data, but CarPlay never launches on vehicles. The first two say connected the third never indicates it's connected. Tried factory resets on all vehicles and external devices and clearing of CarPlay and Bluetooth Connections on iPhone, but still no CarPlay. Reset iPhone network connections, changed network access setting on iPhone as directed. Literally nothing works. So, I installed my wife's Apple 14 Pro with some version of iOS 16? on it and magically everything works on the same CarPlay devices.

So that essentially proves this is caused by iOS 17. If I had an iOS 16 backup, I'd revert, but unfortunately backup on iOS 16 started failing which is why I upgraded to iOS 17. It appears that Apple stopped testing software before launching, we're all beta testers.

Also have loaded latest firmware multiple times, so that's not the problem either.

I've also tried changing cables but that shouldn't have affected my wireless CapPlay connection device, so still iOS 17 issue.

I literally had to pull up an old iPhone mount and install on the front dash so I can navigator or borrow my wife's phone.

So Apple, please fix defective CarPlay on iOS 17 so we can stop wasting time and drive safety with handsfree.

243 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2023 4:25 AM in response to Erklee102381

Okay, so far on iPhone 13 Pro Max after iOS 17, 17.1.2 and 17.2 updates CarPlay doesn't work on 2021 SYNC3 Mustang, 2024 Opel SUV Hybrid in Europe, and on external screen device link with bluetooth. I can pair, verify, load data, but CarPlay never launches on vehicles. The first two say connected the third never indicates it's connected. Tried factory resets on all vehicles and external devices and clearing of CarPlay and Bluetooth Connections on iPhone, but still no CarPlay. Reset iPhone network connections, changed network access setting on iPhone as directed. Literally nothing works. So, I installed my wife's Apple 14 Pro with some version of iOS 16? on it and magically everything works on the same CarPlay devices.

So that essentially proves this is caused by iOS 17. If I had an iOS 16 backup, I'd revert, but unfortunately backup on iOS 16 started failing which is why I upgraded to iOS 17. It appears that Apple stopped testing software before launching, we're all beta testers.

Also have loaded latest firmware multiple times, so that's not the problem either.

I've also tried changing cables but that shouldn't have affected my wireless CapPlay connection device, so still iOS 17 issue.

I literally had to pull up an old iPhone mount and install on the front dash so I can navigator or borrow my wife's phone.

So Apple, please fix defective CarPlay on iOS 17 so we can stop wasting time and drive safety with handsfree.

Nov 3, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Erklee102381

Same for me. I have a 2023 Lexus. Since the update on my iPhone 13 my text doesn’t work. Lexus says it’s an Apple thing. I spent over an hour on the phone with Apple. No luck. End result was the support guy told me to wait for Apple to come out with a “fix” for it. No idea when!!! There’s no way to go back or take away a recent update. Nice right? I won’t be in a hurry to update anymore.

Nov 11, 2023 2:44 PM in response to jessin_london

Update: iPhone 13 on iOS17. After upgrading the Kia navigation and infotainment didn't fix immediately I tried this and it is finally working. Deleted car from car play, deleted car from bluetooth. Reset car infotainment using reset button. Switched off car. Connected phone using a usb to usb-c cable confirmed to permit data transfer (it was actually one from an acer tablet charger), then switched car on. Got the 'allow car play when locked' request and approved. Car play working fully. Only taken a month...

Oct 25, 2023 3:15 AM in response to Erklee102381

Apple carplay not working with iPhone 15 pro iOS 17.x with original Apple cable Kia Sportage 2023.

iPhone 14 pro iOS 16.x has no problems.

Both devices will connect via Bluetooth but the car play feature does not work through cable.

my next step is to update iPhone 14 pro to beta 17.x to absolutely confirm iOS incompatibility.

Will this require an iOS patch or Kia firmware.

Dec 11, 2023 7:50 PM in response to Erklee102381

I have a 2020 bmw m550i I bought at the beginning of the year. Had no issues with CarPlay whatsoever until iOS 17.1.2 update was installed. Ever since, it connects to idrive / Bluetooth with no issues, but as soon as you switch to CarPlay it gives an error about checking Bluetooth / WiFi connections. I am a network / IT engineer so I am very well versed in advanced troubleshooting and have been through all the reset / removal, reboot, etc procedures. if I rip everything out (pairing, etc), it will sometimes work until I shut off the car off, come back and it never works again after that. Contacted Apple support and they basically confirmed that I had already done everything they would have suggested, and told me to contact bmw to see if there was an update for idrive. There are no idrive updates, and today I installed iOS 17.2 hoping that would remedy it and it did not. At this point I feel like this is going to be nothing but two vendors pointing the finger at each other, and I really don’t have the time or care enough to jump through the hoops. Hopefully a future update will come out and fix it, or maybe someone will figure out the issue.. but for now I’m over it.

Oct 2, 2023 7:49 AM in response to Erklee102381

If you are using a wired CarPlay connection and a USB C to USB A cable, a lot of people are having this issue. The problem seems to be the cables - many just don't seem to work. None of my existing USB C to A did. However, people reported good results with Anker products. I bought the Series 3 (link here: https://www.newegg.com/p/0S8-014F-00215?Item=9SIACCUDSW7671), which I can confirm work flawlessly in 2 separate vehicles (2017 Ford F150 and 2020 Toyota Prius Prime).

Sep 26, 2023 12:30 PM in response to Erklee102381

Greetings Erklee102381,

To ensure that you're covering all the bases, the following steps may be able to provide you with some additional assistance:

"Check your wired or wireless connection and your iPhone settings

If your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS, follow these steps—checking CarPlay after each step:

1. Check your connection to your CarPlay stereo:
    • If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
    • If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on on your iPhone under Settings > Bluetooth. Then go to Settings > Wi-Fi, and make sure that Wi-Fi is also turned on. Tap the CarPlay network, and check that Auto-Join is turned on.

2. If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display and select it.

3. Restart your iPhone and your car. 

4. Make sure that Siri is on.

5. If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions. If Content & Privacy Restrictions is on, tap Allowed Apps, and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.

6. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.

7. Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support.

Connect your iPhone with a USB-C connector to CarPlay with the USB-C to Lightning Adapter

You can use the USB-C to Lightning Adapter with wired CarPlay in most vehicles. However, some combinations of adapters, cables, and vehicle entertainment systems might disrupt the wired CarPlay connection. In this situation or for cars that support only wired CarPlay, use a direct connection with a USB cable.

Learn more about the USB-C to Lightning Adapter"

You can find more details here: If you need help with CarPlay

If CarPlay is still not working as expected, follow this link to connect with Apple directly: Get Support

Take care.

CarPlay iOS17 not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.