Is it unusual to transfer data from the older phone to the new for more than 2hrs?

I set my new iPhone 15 Pro Max next to my current iPhone to transfer data. Both say keep this iPhone near the other iPhone while setting up. They both appear in sync to transfer data. However, it's been going for more than two hours.

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 11:59 AM

5 replies

Sep 22, 2023 5:16 PM in response to shinynew

Yes - even over WiFi the transfer will take time, and no matter how you slice it 125 GB is going to take a long time to transfer.

Note the transfer isn't over WiFi per se but directly between the devices; once settings have been transferred, the balance of the restore is from iCloud and the App Store, the same as if you were restoring from an iCloud backup.

I would say if it takes longer than three or four hours you can be concerned, but as long as both devices show the data transfer spinner, connect both to power and let them do their thing.

Is it unusual to transfer data from the older phone to the new for more than 2hrs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.