Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone 15 Pro not charging

Brand new right out of the box (No damage or foreign objects in charging port) I just updated it and transferred my data from my iPhone 12 and none of my cables or charging boxes / PC will charge my phone.. But when its off if I plug it in it will turn the phone on but still not charge. My wireless charger will charge it and Yes tried different charging cables, force reset, checked for any debris in the charging port.. Basically everything they told me to do to troubleshoot it..

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 3:59 PM

Try a Forced Restart:

• Press and quickly release volume up button
  • Then immediately press and quickly release volume down button
  • Then immediately press and KEEP HOLDING the side power button. KEEP HOLDING it past the swipe to power off and KEEP holding it until you see the Apple Logo, then let go

See if you can charge your iPhone after you sign back in with your Passcode.

140 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2023 3:59 PM in response to TDtara

Try a Forced Restart:

• Press and quickly release volume up button
  • Then immediately press and quickly release volume down button
  • Then immediately press and KEEP HOLDING the side power button. KEEP HOLDING it past the swipe to power off and KEEP holding it until you see the Apple Logo, then let go

See if you can charge your iPhone after you sign back in with your Passcode.

Dec 13, 2023 6:33 AM in response to lobsterghost1

This is the 2nd 15pro that I have that has now experience this issue. The solve was the above + Plus the following steps:

• Hard Reset
  • Shutting off the Battery Optimization
  • Shutting off Green Energy

I spent 2 days in an apple store and their solution was to replace the phone after not finding a solve. Two half days of my life I will not get back that they don't have a solve for. The above solution has worked on my second phone this morning and it is now charging the way it should.

Oct 2, 2023 6:46 AM in response to loreeli

The fix that worked for me was turning off optimized battery charging and clean energy charging, also use usb c cable not MagSafe. And if your phone is a little warm you should cool it down with something. For me holding it in front of an ac vent in a car worked.

the issue is the phone thinks it overheating and refuses to accept a charge.

let me know if this works for you aswell

Sep 25, 2023 1:09 PM in response to Bennymoo90

I’m having issues when using the cable that came in the box, but using the same USB-C plug that I used for my 14 pro max. Whenever I plug it in, a notice pops up in the screen informing me ‘Cannot Use Accessory, as it uses too much power’.

Although I ignore the message, it does charge my phone but I’m worried that I’m doing the phone/battery damage.

Has anybody else had this issue?

Sep 27, 2023 7:13 AM in response to Bennymoo90

I’m in a similar situation, but instead of not charging at all it charges to 65% EXACTLY and then doesn’t charge past that for hours at night. If I unplug it and then plug it back in the morning, it usually charges fine. I’m thinking its the charging optimizations but you would think that since I have both an alarm and sleep mode turning off by a certain time it would charge to 100% by then

Oct 9, 2023 1:36 AM in response to Bennymoo90

I have an iPhone 15 Pro.

I have many Apple 5W chargers around the house as I like to charge my phone slowly overnight to preserve batter life.

At first, for a few weeks since the phone arrived, it charged OK. Then, the charging became intermittent: sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. At first, I thought either the charger or the cable I was using may have become faulty.

I bought a couple of brand new quality Anker USB-A to USB-C cables to try those (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M5GMZ6X?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1). They didn't work either. However, a different unbranded third-party USB-A to USB-C cable always works with the 5W Apple charger (I think this one possibly came with a Logitech device).

A quality Lindy charger/hub always works with a Syncwire USB-A to USB-C cable (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TXNLB4P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Since the problem only occurred about 2 weeks after the iPhone 15 Pro arrived, the issue may have been caused by one of the recent updates.

I've tried restarting the phone and a hard reset, as others reported that this fixed the issue. For me, it hasn't resolved the problem.

Dec 23, 2023 4:11 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I have had this happen to 2 15 Pro models and here is the solution that has worked for me:

The solve was the above + Plus the following steps:

• Hard Reset
  • Shutting off the Battery Optimization
  • Shutting off Green Energy

I spent 2 days in an apple store and their solution was to replace the phone after not finding a solve. Two half days of my life I will not get back that they don't have a solve for. The above solution has worked on my second phone this morning and it is now charging the way it should.

Sep 24, 2023 4:56 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Literally opened the box 2 hours ago and the charging port will not charge. I have the Anker 20W charging plug and Anker cables.. nothing is working. It will wirelessly charge and It will charge in the car but will not charge in a standard outlet in the house. Any other tips before I have to go spend a day at the Apple Store trying to get this fixed.

Sep 24, 2023 5:33 PM in response to Dahartsock

Did you perform the Forced Restart procedure I detailed above? If yes, and the Anker charger and cables won't work, then I'm afraid it's off to the Genius Bar at your Apple Store. I have multiple Anker Nano 20w charging plugs and I've tried it with multiple USB C to USB C cables and in all cases both our iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max charge.

Sep 23, 2023 5:22 PM in response to Jbhill22

So we know your phone is capable of charging wirelessly and plugged into your MacBook Pro. We know you're using the Apple Cable. What we don't know is what charging plug you're using and what is its power output? We have a new 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max. I really only use MagSafe charging, but to test, I plugged both iPhones into a 20w Anker Nano USB C charging plug and both charged just fine.

What is the power output of the charging plug you're using? It just may not output enough power to charge a new iPhone 15 Pro.

Oct 3, 2023 5:20 PM in response to Bennymoo90

My iPhone 15 pro max same issue using Apple is-c charger won’t charge overnight past 78%. Had on optimised charging . Discussed with Apple . Only charges again in morning but takes 90 minutes to get to full capacity. Changed chargers and cable and charged from 75%-80% in 20 minutes only .

hard reset twice and using 20w charger

Oct 19, 2023 8:09 AM in response to Bennymoo90

My new 15Pro phone charges in my car using these little gray adaptors we bought on Amazon (usb to c)…I only have a USB receptacle in the car. It charges to 100%. The phone also charges to 100% in my house while using the OLD wireless charging pad although I have to position the phone just right to get it to charge. BUT when I use the new MagSafe Charger and plug it into an outlet using that same little silver adaptor as I use in the car but now it’s plugged into my old little Apple block, it either stops charging within minutes or maxes out at 65%. Frustrating. Now I’m trying my husbands iPad Pro charging block and plugging the USC end of the MagSafe charger into that block, it is charging continuously and quickly. So I’m thinking the smaller Apple blocks are not transferring enough power through the MagSafe charger? Is anyone else seeing this problem?

iPhone 15 Pro not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.