Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

how to play music from iPod in Buick Envision 2023

unable to use cord previously used in my Corrola to play music from iPod. Any suggestions for cables or an App that may allow this to work?

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 12:16 PM

You have not specifically mentioned whether there is a USB input option on the Buick's entertainment menu.

• if there is, have you selected it and made sure to select the correct one if there is more than one (my car has two USB inputs)
    • assuming that there is not (for some strange reason), the next option is to use Bluetooth from the iPod to the car's system (assuming it's a Bluetooth capable iPod and not an iPod Classic). However, unless your car can use two Bluetooth devices at one time, you will not be able to do this and have your phone connected as well

Regarding an app; that isn't going to be the solution. When using the USB connection from an iPod to the car, it is the iPod's player that is playing the music and the iPod itself that is sending the audio to the USB output. From there, the car's USB input simply receives that signal and (in basic terms) send it to the car's speakers. I'm not aware of any app that can be used instead.

You could (possibly) use a radio transmitter that plugs into the iPod's headphone socket and converts the audio from that outlet to a radio signal. You select the frequency that the signal is transmitted on. You then tune your car's radio to that same frequency and then you will hear the iPod's output. However - and it's a big "however"; the audio is unlikely to be as good as a USB or Bluetooth connection, which you may find unacceptable for music.

Regarding the cable that you are using; I am aware that there have been third-party "iPod cables" that only charge, but cannot be used for audio. Weird, but true. So, try another cable, that you know does handle audio (perhaps borrow one from a friend).

The upshot of my advice is that you pursue the USB option, making doubly-sure that you haven't missed anything, such as multiple USB choices, odd settings on the car's audio system, or a dodgy cable.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 12:16 PM in response to iPodBuickEnvision

You have not specifically mentioned whether there is a USB input option on the Buick's entertainment menu.

• if there is, have you selected it and made sure to select the correct one if there is more than one (my car has two USB inputs)
    • assuming that there is not (for some strange reason), the next option is to use Bluetooth from the iPod to the car's system (assuming it's a Bluetooth capable iPod and not an iPod Classic). However, unless your car can use two Bluetooth devices at one time, you will not be able to do this and have your phone connected as well

Regarding an app; that isn't going to be the solution. When using the USB connection from an iPod to the car, it is the iPod's player that is playing the music and the iPod itself that is sending the audio to the USB output. From there, the car's USB input simply receives that signal and (in basic terms) send it to the car's speakers. I'm not aware of any app that can be used instead.

You could (possibly) use a radio transmitter that plugs into the iPod's headphone socket and converts the audio from that outlet to a radio signal. You select the frequency that the signal is transmitted on. You then tune your car's radio to that same frequency and then you will hear the iPod's output. However - and it's a big "however"; the audio is unlikely to be as good as a USB or Bluetooth connection, which you may find unacceptable for music.

Regarding the cable that you are using; I am aware that there have been third-party "iPod cables" that only charge, but cannot be used for audio. Weird, but true. So, try another cable, that you know does handle audio (perhaps borrow one from a friend).

The upshot of my advice is that you pursue the USB option, making doubly-sure that you haven't missed anything, such as multiple USB choices, odd settings on the car's audio system, or a dodgy cable.

how to play music from iPod in Buick Envision 2023

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.