Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to put again the duck text sound on iPhone?

In the new update why did they get rid of the duck texting sound??? You can only use it if you put it as you ring tone but not your texting.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 2:37 AM

The Duck sound for text sounds is free, see my screenshot.

30 replies

Sep 23, 2023 4:42 AM in response to LD150

The text alert tone is known to have been available for purchase on the iTunes Store since 2011.

Does this mean that some text alert tones that were originally present have disappeared from the list even if you are not using iOS 17?

Just checked on an (old) iPodTouch - iOS 9.3.5 the Duck sound is still present on Text Sound.

Oct 21, 2023 8:45 PM in response to ElenaLeithe

Hi!

Here to help!

And also: wow. Did not expect a duck-question :)

Apple changes a lot over time - if you think the sound should still be available, please contact applecare.

However; it could also be "works as designed" - maybe Apple let go of the duck sound?

If you ned more assistance, let me know - or conbtact AppleCare.

Kind regards,

RRD

>>> feedback.apple.com

Nov 19, 2023 8:00 AM in response to LD150

So I can confirm as above stated that some of the text tones are now ONLY available for free via ringtone, meaning you CANNOT use them for your text tones... frustratingly I only found this out when resetting my iPhone to try and resolve another issue, which it did not... however I have found the nearest alternative which is as close as I can get to what I had before... Firstly I screen recorded the now ringtone which I had as a text tone previously... I then followed this guys instructions on how to extract the sound from the video (see link below). My sound recording didn't actually save as what I had named it, and it seemed to get stuck on converting it... but when I looked whilst it was trying to convert it in my files, there had appeared a sound file... which was the file. I simply renamed it and then I emailed the file to myself and changed the extention to an m4r. and then went to itunes to copy and paste the file into my tones folder on my iPhone (with the iPhone connected via cable)... and wala, I can now use this sound as a text tone once again... for me it was the Duck sound, as I have ALWAYS used this as I love ducks and I always know its my phone as no one else I know uses it. Anyway it worked pretty well and it sounds exactly the same as before. Not quite sure why Apple took away the sound from text tones, but when do we ever know why Apple do some of the things they do? Maybe one day it'll return, but least this has solved my issue. Hope this helps someone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZELg9NKEhRg

How to put again the duck text sound on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.