Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Unknown Part Unable to determine if your iPhone camera is a genuine Apple part.

I own a iPhone 13 pro, nerve get any repair but one day i received a notification about my camera "Unknown Part

Unable to determine if your iPhone camera is a genuine Apple part. This could be because the part is non-genuine or not functioning as expected, or the installation is incomplete." Can anyone please help and I also wanted to say that Apple is just playing with our money. Apple don't care about any of these issues

[Edited by Moderator] 

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2024 3:30 PM

I am having the same issue just recently after I updated my phone to the recent IOS. My .5 does not work and most of the other features are a no go as well. I have never gotten my phone repaired nor is it broken. This is just crazy please fix it

100 replies

Nov 7, 2023 6:55 AM in response to SravanKrA

The function most certainly IS affected by this message. Loads and loads of people reporting the same error message + functionality issues (wide angle lens setting MIA, screen goes black and freezes in camera app, etc). You’re clearly not actually having the issue so your input is wildly unproductive.

Has no solution really been rolled out by Apple, seems it’s been over a year without solution?

Feb 16, 2024 6:38 PM in response to pravesh129

I have a 13 Pro Max.

I had the same message pop up this morning.

The only things I noticed were: my camera lagged / froze last night while taking a video; this morning, I went to take a picture, and the screen was blank, but if I flipped the picture around (to take a selfie), it was ok.

I am up to date with updates - iOS 17.3.1

I reser all settings, and I powered the phone off for 5 minutes. When I turned the phone back on, the notification was gone.

Jan 23, 2024 6:53 AM in response to B_ShRP

They will never admit it’s their problem and make us pay the repair charges even though it’s not our fault. Their trade in partners rejected my trade after sending it for this problem. I don’t have the Apple care anymore so I would have to take it to Genius Bar and get it repaired. This is bad from Apple that they don’t know it’s their part and no one replaced or repaired the camera. Apple genuine until it fails and Apple says oh no it’s not Apple genuine camera and we need to replace it with an Apple genuine part. So, was the camera not a genuine part in the first place or Apple sold an expensive iPhone with a cheap defective camera? Then they don’t trust all these customers who are genuinely expressing their frustration.

Dec 17, 2023 5:44 PM in response to SravanKrA

The problem is that Apple doesn't take the phone with this problem in a trade in. I never replaced any part or never had my phone repaired except this problem, where my camera says unknown part. Because of this issue, apple trade in team revised my iPhone 12 Pro Max price from $450 to zero. So, basically we can keep using this phone without any issues but Apple thinks it's a third party camera and make it basically zero worth. At this point I fee like it's a customer service issue in my opinion. It's clearly been reported by many customers that they have not replaced their camera, yet Apple doesn't seem to repair this or fix the problem free of charge. What's more bad customer service is that they reject the trade in.

Sep 22, 2023 11:20 PM in response to pravesh129

The function is not affetecd by this message (Genuine/Ingenuine Parts)

If you still need help, reset your Face ID, then set it up again. Go to Settings, tap Face ID & Passcode, then tap Reset Face ID. Next, tap Set up Face ID to set it up again.

If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro

Parts and service history

With iPhone 12 models and later using iOS 15.2 and later, you can go to Settings > General > About to see the parts and service history of your iPhone and you can see if the camera has been replaced. If the repair was done using genuine Apple parts and processes, you will see "Genuine Apple Part" next to Camera.

• You will see an Unknown Part  message if the camera installation is incomplete or if the camera:
  • Was replaced with a nongenuine camera
  • Was already used or installed in another iPhone
  • Isn't functioning as expected

This message doesn't affect your ability to use your iPhone or access your camera.

Learn more about iPhone parts and service history.

If your iPhone's camera has been previously replaced, repaired, or serviced by an unauthorized service provider, it's worth noting that Apple may decline to provide service for your device. The decision to refuse service will depend on the specific components that were affected by the unauthorized service.

Get a Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Contact Genius Bar.

Manage Reservations - My Reservations - Apple

Unknown Part Unable to determine if your iPhone camera is a genuine Apple part.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.