Pages Mac OS Ventura 13.5.2 soft line break not working

Shift-return is now producing a hard return. I've tried reloading pages...

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 3:12 AM

In that case why is that not shown as a keyboard shortcut in the Menu Insert->Line Break?

And anyway the Shift Return still acts as a Line Break in Apple Notes, where it is used to provide a line break in a list without creating a new item in the list. As a leading manufacturer you cannot confuse your users with different keyboards for one app or another. Especially as now you can now move your notes into Pages.

And again as I reported, either the product is at fault or the documentation is at fault. At least both for Numbers and Pages.

Your revelation now makes me want to now investigate whether the System Settings Keyboard Shortcuts are working correctly. I say this as I do not think I should have been allowed to change an existing keyboard shortcut.

The discovery of this decision to change this functionality does not mean it can be swept under the carpet.

I would not have wasted any of my time on this if the Menu function had shown the new shortcut and not left it blank, indicating that it had been removed.

If I sound frustrated, it is because I have had to waste my time on something that use to take less than 500 milliseconds. :)

BTW if you are going to change it in Pages and Numbers, please correct it in Notes.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2023 3:12 AM in response to Amosbabel

In that case why is that not shown as a keyboard shortcut in the Menu Insert->Line Break?

And anyway the Shift Return still acts as a Line Break in Apple Notes, where it is used to provide a line break in a list without creating a new item in the list. As a leading manufacturer you cannot confuse your users with different keyboards for one app or another. Especially as now you can now move your notes into Pages.

And again as I reported, either the product is at fault or the documentation is at fault. At least both for Numbers and Pages.

Your revelation now makes me want to now investigate whether the System Settings Keyboard Shortcuts are working correctly. I say this as I do not think I should have been allowed to change an existing keyboard shortcut.

The discovery of this decision to change this functionality does not mean it can be swept under the carpet.

I would not have wasted any of my time on this if the Menu function had shown the new shortcut and not left it blank, indicating that it had been removed.

If I sound frustrated, it is because I have had to waste my time on something that use to take less than 500 milliseconds. :)

BTW if you are going to change it in Pages and Numbers, please correct it in Notes.

Oct 2, 2023 2:59 AM in response to Amosbabel

That is a good question for the Pages product team who changed shift+enter to either of control+enter or as I mentioned earlier, control+shift+enter. They would have to program that Line Break menu item to reflect any keyboard shortcut and have chosen not too.

I am a fellow user and the Pages product team does not participate here.

Oct 2, 2023 5:28 AM in response to Amosbabel

You are whipping a dead horse here. Have comments for Apple? Then use the Provide Pages Feedback on the Pages application menu. That will send your input directly to the Pages product team. To continue to go on about missing menu keyboard shortcuts or other issues that cannot be fixed without product team intervention is pointless here.

Oct 26, 2023 5:15 AM in response to Amosbabel

Amosbabel wrote:

FYI I have reported this and it sounded as if it had not been reported before. Certainly they did not say anything about the Control Return shortcut. Apparently has now been passed on to somebody else. Why did I have to find out about that here?

Because the Apple product teams do not provide a long list of things they implemented, fixed, removed, or changed from the past to end users, or even Apple support. This is not Apple Support, and do not expect that official Apple staff to know about every change in Apple products. They are busy supporting users, not learning every aspect of a new product release.

If you provided feedback from the Pages or Numbers application menu as I originally suggested, then it is done and there is nothing more you can do. It is very unlikely that any member of the Pages or Numbers product team will contact you due to the volumes of feedback they receive. It is also a diminishing possibility that either product team will revert the soft return to shift+enter again.

You learned about it here because others noticed the change and posted in this community. The few of your fellow users who volunteer their time replied with an alternative keyboard shortcut.

Oct 31, 2023 2:40 PM in response to Amosbabel

It is ridiculous for Apple to change such a long established core concept of word processing. Several other apps have the same problem now, so it’s very likely been push on the OS level.

no official announcement or documentation and on here you’ll get the classic unpaid apologists not offering any real solutions.

the custom shortcut for pages is one thing, but how do you set it up across all apps? Line breaks are typically not menu items.

I cannot believe Apple would have done this deliberately. It must be a bug.

Nov 30, 2023 6:28 PM in response to RoundPegInTheSquareHole

Thanks Viking,

I had never noticed the Provide Pages Feedback on the Pages application menu.

So good to know.

Meanwhile I sent this

----------------------------------------------------

For three decades SHIFT RETURN has been the standard for a line break across ALL applications.

30 years.

Can't do a simple line break while typing, this user is made to feel like an IDIOT.

I hate using Numbers because Apple changed the user setting which allowed me to alter the program's behaviour to match my learned habits. Took the feature away.

Now Apple has made Pages counter intuitive. So now I feel like an IDIOT using Pages. It’s hidden under Control Shift. Not mentioned in menus. GAHHHH!

How about you give us a control somewhere that allows us to revert to SHIFT RETURN.

And while at it, do it so it can be set across Numbers, Pages and Keynote for the classic Apple unified user-oriented experience.

I do not like being made to feel incompetent by bad UX design.

----------------------------------------------------

Maybe others might like to share similar or same.

Pages Mac OS Ventura 13.5.2 soft line break not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.