AirTag share problem! A successful share is gone after several hours....

Hi,

My wife and I are members of the same 'Apple family'.

I own an iPhone 14 Pro with iOS 17.0.1 and my wife owns an iPhone 13 with iOS 17.0.1.

If my wife shares her AirTag with me, I accept the share and the share is working fine!

If I share my four AirTags with my wife (one at a time), she accepts these shares and I can see that my AirTags are shared with her. She can also check my AirTags from that moment. So far so good!

But....several hours later my shared AirTags aren't shared anymore. My shares are gone. We both didn't do anything to undo these shares. I tried to share my AirTags several times (with iOS 17 & iOS 17.0.1) resulting in the same problem.

Whats happens? Can I fix this myself or does it require an Apple iOS update?

Please let me know what to do.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Kind regards,

Rob

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 9:48 AM

Hi,

Sharing an AirTag to the e-mail address (also Apple ID) seems the solution for my problem (so far!).

So, if you want to share an AirTag there are more share options after pressing on the + sign.

Regards,

Rob

9 replies

May 8, 2024 12:04 AM in response to _Jono89_

Hi _Jono89_,

It's a strange problem. It doesn't seem like many users are affected by this.

I haven't read a good solution anywhere.

I have already tried this:

- shared with a telephone number or with an email address;

- shared with different iOS versions.

I don't know how to solve this. I always have the most recent iOS versions and firmwares installed.

If you solved this issue, please let me know!

Kind regards,

Rob

May 8, 2024 4:08 AM in response to RobNL69

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately no, I haven’t solved it.

But I have a suspicion. Like most people, we have two emails associated with our apple account. Our personal email with a non-apple service (e.g. gmail or outlook), and the iCloud email.

When I try to share an AirTag with my wife, the only option that is initially “blue” in the sharing list is her iCloud email address. But when she accepts the request on her phone, it says “joining as [hotmail email]”. So suspicion is some sort of mismatch in the user details? We are the same as you though, we are both in the same “Apple Family” so perhaps that’s part of the issue?

I have just re-shared my 5 x airtags with my wife, so will see how long it lasts.

Jon

AirTag share problem! A successful share is gone after several hours....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.