Styling PDF files from the Pages app

I create documents with Pages (the latest version). I then select Export > PDF, with no ability to style it (e.g., setting the font size and having the document open with its opening line at the top of the page).

The PDF gets created. However, when it opens on my iMac and online, (a) the font size is very large, and (b) the document's opening line can't be seen because the document opens to a point between pages 1 and 2. This is especially bothersome when my PDF files are opened on my website. ( ; - (

How/where can I style the PDF accordingly before it gets created?

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance going forward.

Warren

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 2:17 PM

There are a couple of Safari settings that may play into how it presents a web page, but nothing specific to how a PDF is rendered:

Safari Settings :

• Security -> √ Enable JavaScript
  • Websites -> Page Zoom (defaults to 100%) but for a given link to your website, there are other zoom factors in this control.
  • Extensions -> do you have any extensions installed (e.g. content blockers, other) that may have a collateral effect on viewed content?
  • Advanced -> Never use font sizes smaller than [ 9 ]
    • Style Sheet -> are you loading a custom style sheet?
    • Show Develop menu in menu bar
      • Have you altered any of the default settings in Develop menu : Experimental Features?
      • User Agent?

The Apple terms of these communities is to protect our privacy and thus, neither of us should be sharing personal contact information here. Apple will abruptly remove it anyway.

I prefer not to open an unknown PDF from the web in my browser. And, there may be something in that PDF that Apple's PDF facility in Safari simply cannot handle properly. Apple does not keep its PDF capabilities as current as Adobe does in Acrobat Reader DC, or perhaps as those in Chrome or Firefox.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 2:17 PM in response to Warren Camp

There are a couple of Safari settings that may play into how it presents a web page, but nothing specific to how a PDF is rendered:

Safari Settings :

• Security -> √ Enable JavaScript
  • Websites -> Page Zoom (defaults to 100%) but for a given link to your website, there are other zoom factors in this control.
  • Extensions -> do you have any extensions installed (e.g. content blockers, other) that may have a collateral effect on viewed content?
  • Advanced -> Never use font sizes smaller than [ 9 ]
    • Style Sheet -> are you loading a custom style sheet?
    • Show Develop menu in menu bar
      • Have you altered any of the default settings in Develop menu : Experimental Features?
      • User Agent?

The Apple terms of these communities is to protect our privacy and thus, neither of us should be sharing personal contact information here. Apple will abruptly remove it anyway.

I prefer not to open an unknown PDF from the web in my browser. And, there may be something in that PDF that Apple's PDF facility in Safari simply cannot handle properly. Apple does not keep its PDF capabilities as current as Adobe does in Acrobat Reader DC, or perhaps as those in Chrome or Firefox.

Sep 24, 2023 2:56 PM in response to VikingOSX

Many thanks, my friend!

Although we can't compare notes on how my PDF TEST file appears, let me follow up with you on Safari's Preferences settings that you highlighted.

• Security -> It remains set to enable JS.
  • Websites -> Page Zoom is set at 100 percent for my domain. [See current screenshot.] Nevertheless, PDFs open in an expanded view although web pages themselves open at 100 percent size.

• Extensions: Yes, I have a number of ad-blocker extensions and a couple of others. I don't know how to determine if/when any of them might compromise the appearance of PDF files.
  • Advance -> The font size setting hadn't been selected. I set it to "not less than 9," closed and reopened Safari, but I saw no improvement when opening my PDF file(s).
    • I've not/never used a style sheet on my iMacs.
    • I do have Develop in my Safari main menu; I use it often every day.
    • I'm unfamiliar with the two final bullet points in the Advanced pane that you mention. If it's helpful, Viking, kindly elaborate a bit on what I might alter on which option. Thanks.

Thanks again, Viking. Write back when it's convenient for you. ( ; - )

Sep 23, 2023 4:19 PM in response to Warren Camp

Are you object embedding PDF documents in the web page, or just providing a link to them? The following is embedded in a webpage that Safari 16.6 is viewing, and that PDF document is scrollable in that window.

The users viewing your PDF in Safari have a choice of zooming in or out of the PDF, or saving it in the Downloads folder for subsequent PDF reader viewing. In Firefox 117.0.2, its PDF viewer offers selected zoom percentages in addition to the - + shortcuts for better view tuning.

Sep 23, 2023 1:18 PM in response to Warren Camp

All styling occurs in the Pages document before it is exported to PDF as it would be with any word processing application that exports/saves to a PDF document. On the Pages PDF export panel, experiment with Advanced Options and setting PDF Accessibility to either Default, On, or Off. That may or may not change how the PDF is presented to the end user via a browser.

Web browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, and Safari have their own unique, browser-specific PDF viewers and that implementation may vary from what one sees when the same PDF is opened in a dedicated PDF reader such as Apple's Preview, Foxit, or even Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

I don't place PDFs on a website, but I can open PDFs created across several years, including those created with Pages v13.2 on Ventura 13.6 — directly in Safari without visual issue.

Sep 23, 2023 1:58 PM in response to VikingOSX

I thank you, Viking, for promptly responding and providing an understandable reply.

At your suggestion, I created PDFs using all three Advanced options. In all cases, Safari opens the file in a large font size and with it opening between pages 1 and. No difference after trying those Advanced options.

Shall I assume, therefore, that Safari users must: (a) zoom out for easy reading and (b) scroll up so that they can begin to read my PDF files on that specific browser?

Sep 23, 2023 5:30 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hello, again, Viking:

In each instance on my site, the PDF files open when a text hyperlink is clicked. I've never "object embedded" a PDF file and don't know anything about it. Click-activated text links are what I use.

That said, I'll assume that Safari, for no apparent reason, is unable to present PDF files online in their created format, although Chrome does so by default. Am I correct in that assumption, Viking?

Sep 24, 2023 1:58 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hi, Viking:

Regarding PDF viewing on Safari, if you can view PDFs fine but I can't, does that mean that we have different Safari preference settings for viewing documents? If so, which Preferences pane and option should I work with?

And, can you e-confirm that my PDF file that opens inappropriately on Safari opens fine for you? If so, can I give a hyperlink on this Community forum that opens a TEST PDF? Or can I provide a link to you privately?

Please suggest what I should do to learn that what you see when you open my TEST PDF file on Safari is different and proper compared to what opens for me on Safari?

I'm eager to get to the heart of this, my friend. Thanks, in advance.

Sep 24, 2023 4:09 PM in response to VikingOSX

Assuming that I appended as you suggested, here are the results for each effort:

https. . . .pdf&view=Fit — I got my custom 404 page.

https. . . .pdf?#zoom=100&view=fit — My PDF file opened but no change to the oversized appearance, even after clearing the cache files and refreshing the linked page.

If I erred in my appendages, please clarify what I'm to do. Thanks, pal.

Sep 24, 2023 5:11 PM in response to VikingOSX

No need to be sorry, Viking. You enlightened me about a few Safari preference settings I hadn't known of or considered.

BTW: I changed the value in your second suggested appendage — from 100 percent to 50 percent. Sadly, Safari didn't reduce the zoom as specified. There's no apparent way to control the uncooperative web browser from Apple. ( ; - (

Perhaps someone else has a suggestion.

Meanwhile, I'll have to accept the fact that Safari handles PDF file presentations differently from Chrome and Firefox, with Chrome opening and presenting my PDFs exactly as I'd created them.

Safari users must zoom out and scroll up to begin reading my PDF text files. Chrome users need not fuss with what opens on that browser.

Bye-bye, for now, Viking. Thanks, again!

I'll give you a "Best Answer" citing in a minute. . .

Styling PDF files from the Pages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.