Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iOS17 swapped the locations of the iPhone mute and speaker buttons

The new ios17 swapped the locations of the mute and speaker buttons. The speaker button was on the left side of the screen. Now it’s on the right. Can I customize the calling screen buttons? I’d like the speaker button back where it was.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 8:16 PM

Mindless change! Now when I call my 90 year old mother she's muting me thinking she's putting me on speaker phone.

I bump that mute button constantly and it's very frustrating. Thanks apple for thinking about what impact this has on the neuro-divergent community! No notification, 30 minutes lost trying to find a way to put it back the way it was.

101 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 8:16 PM in response to Kshep123

Mindless change! Now when I call my 90 year old mother she's muting me thinking she's putting me on speaker phone.

I bump that mute button constantly and it's very frustrating. Thanks apple for thinking about what impact this has on the neuro-divergent community! No notification, 30 minutes lost trying to find a way to put it back the way it was.

Nov 9, 2023 7:20 AM in response to Leonas62

Leonas62 wrote:

I hate this! Why swap those 2?? There are times I do like to mute my voice as in when I’m saying something to someone I don’t want the caller to hear…note, I may inadvertently put myself on speaker and announce it to everyone!

Why are you telling us? We are your fellow users. We can't do anything about it.

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Jan 15, 2024 12:15 PM in response to pamelaf39

pamelaf39 wrote:

Lobsterghost1

Your responses telling everyone to stop complaining, well seems to miss the point of this type of forum. People that are frustrated seek feedback from others because they want to know if they are alone in suffering. It is helpful to have shared experiences.

I appreciate your comment, honestly, I do. But you seem to not know this isn't a complaint forum. This is a technical support forum where users ask a technical support question and other users answer the question if they can. The question has been asked over and over how to undo the changed locations of the phone controls in iOS 17. And the ONLY answer there is is you simply cannot do that. Complaining about that fact, may be cathartic, but accomplishes nothing and is indeed, NOT what this forum is for.

If someone wants to complain, which many seem to want to do. Doing it here is quite pointless as this is strictly a user to user only forum which no one from Apple actively participates. So we have many times provided a feedback link for users to express their thoughts to Apple directly.

And here is that link again in case they need it --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Thanks and stay well........

Dec 1, 2023 8:15 AM in response to Community User

DevelopersPointlessChanges wrote:

Words cannot possibly express how much I hate this change, and how many times I’ve muted calls that I meant to put on speaker.
there is no possible reason for this change unless it’s because a) someone’s left-handed or b) they spend more time muting people than actually listening to them

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Jan 4, 2024 2:00 PM in response to JoDunn73

JoDunn73 wrote:

my question is why. It’s the most annoying change ever. Makes me never want to update again. I swear they just want to mess with one

No one here can answer why questions as this is a user to user only forum, which Apple doesn't actively participate in. I've now grown so accustomed to the new layout that I can't even remember how it once was before iOS 17. But then, change rarely upsets me when it comes to electronics.

Jan 14, 2024 2:32 PM in response to Evojoe

Evojoe wrote:

Make an option to reverse it back. That simple.

If you bothered to read past the first post, you'd have learned not one person on this user to user only forum which no one from Apple participates can grant your wish. So, it's not that simple as we can't change anything. You'd have also seen a feedback link posted multiple times, which you can use to tell Apple what you think they should do. Use it if you want Apple to know your thoughts.

Sep 24, 2023 6:07 AM in response to dean_3

User Interface, doesn't mean users can usually customize or change everything they want. User Interface, simply means its what the user uses. Some things can be customized in iPhone User Interface, like wallpaper for example or where you want apps to appear. But what can't be customized such as what you're referring to, can't be customized.

If you're not happy with the changes Apple made, feel free to tell them. Complaining here is pointless on this user to user only forum, which Apple doesn't participate in.

Use this link to share your thoughts with Apple --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Oct 8, 2023 7:31 AM in response to DonkeyEars417

I'm sorry to see you have epilepsy. I'm sure that can be difficult. If changes in a smart phone are too difficult for you to deal with, you might want to consider getting a simpler phone with fixed buttons which can never change. Expecting things to never change however, is just not going to happen.

Since this is clearly upsetting you, have you provided feedback to Apple? Complaining here and accusing other users of being things they aren't, gets you nothing. This is a user to user only forum, which Apple doesn't actively participate in. You can let Apple know you don't like the change by using this link --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

iOS17 swapped the locations of the iPhone mute and speaker buttons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.