Unresponsive Bottom Screen

Hii, I'm not sure if this correlates esp now, but this issue started shortly after I upgraded to 17.1. I reverted back to 16 shortly after because it was buggy and I thought that's what could've caused the issue. The portion of my screen where the continue button, 123 keyboard button, and the space button are located is no longer responsive. My swipe up feature is also extremely finicky and takes several swipes to respond. I'm getting around these issues with the zoom feature and Siri, but it's such an important area it's debilitating to my phone use. I checked for water damage and the ICL(?) doesn't look red but that's one thing I think it could be. I've forced reset and factory reset my phone many times to no avail. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 12

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 10:39 PM

If you are using any screen protectors or cases for your iPhone then remove them and try again. If the issue still continues, then (1) Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

(3)  If that does not help, then you may have a failing touch screen. I recommend that you contact 👉 Official Apple Support OR you can always get your iPhone examined at the Apple Store 👉 Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options or at an Authorized Service Center for further diagnosis and evaluation.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2023 10:39 PM in response to jayl209

If you are using any screen protectors or cases for your iPhone then remove them and try again. If the issue still continues, then (1) Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

(3)  If that does not help, then you may have a failing touch screen. I recommend that you contact 👉 Official Apple Support OR you can always get your iPhone examined at the Apple Store 👉 Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options or at an Authorized Service Center for further diagnosis and evaluation.

Sep 23, 2023 10:35 PM in response to jayl209

You can try backing up your phone, then restoring the phone as new to see if that helps.

I would only do that if you're prepared to get the phone repaired right away, though, since the bottom of the screen is needed for some of the setup steps.

This sounds like a failed touchscreen, and you'd need to get the phone repaired or plan to replace it.

~Lyssa

Unresponsive Bottom Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.