Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

I want to empty the gallery on my iPhone. Will that delete them from iCloud too?

I have over 100 GB in my Photos app in my iPhone. I am not sure why this happens but I do take a lot of High Quality videos in 4k and 60 frames.

I have iCloud turned on, and I am not sure how the optimisation by apple works, but the fact is I am completely blocked from taking any photos, and I do not want to delete any footage. However, I do want to completely empty my entire gallery on my iPhone and keep everything on my 2TB iCloud. Is it safe to do that? How do I do that? Is there a proper well-defined way or do I have to hack my way by signing out with my account?

I am afraid to delete anything, since the way this works is a little unclear and blurry in general!

Thanks for your help :)

iPhone 6, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 12:34 AM

Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos. Tap Sync this iPhone. In iOS 15 or earlier, tap to turn on iCloud Photos. Select Optimize iPhone Storage to save space on your device.

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support (IN)

Enabling iCloud for Photos, Notes, Videos, Reminders, Messages, and more, as depicted in the provided picture, means that if you delete any or all data from one device, it will also be removed from iCloud and all other devices linked to the same Apple ID. Likewise, the reverse is true as well.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 12:34 AM in response to xadgar

Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos. Tap Sync this iPhone. In iOS 15 or earlier, tap to turn on iCloud Photos. Select Optimize iPhone Storage to save space on your device.

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support (IN)

Enabling iCloud for Photos, Notes, Videos, Reminders, Messages, and more, as depicted in the provided picture, means that if you delete any or all data from one device, it will also be removed from iCloud and all other devices linked to the same Apple ID. Likewise, the reverse is true as well.

Sep 24, 2023 12:36 AM in response to xadgar

xadgar wrote:

Is there a proper well-defined way

Yes, there is.

If you delete Photos & Videos from the iPhone the same is deleted on iCloud Photos too. So...

1. Microsoft support says --> Import photos and videos from an iPhone to PC
  2. Import to your Mac --> Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod ...
    1. Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac with a USB cable.
    2. Open the Photos app on your computer.
    3. The Photos app shows an Import screen with all the photos and videos that are on your connected device. ... 
    4. If asked, unlock your iOS or iPadOS device using your passcode.
  3. Upload to iCloud Drive (Not iCloud Photos) using the Files App.

Now, you can safely delete from the iPhone as you have the Photos/Videos on iCloud Drive and your Mac/PC

I want to empty the gallery on my iPhone. Will that delete them from iCloud too?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.