You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A lock icon on screen

After installed Ventura 15.3, my iMac run ok even slow. But when I update it to Ventura 15.6, then iMac stuck couldn’t boot up. I tried to use combination keys, not work, and a lock icon appeared on screen. I want to bring my iMac to Apple Store where I bought it 7 year ago, to fix, but they someone said they ask for receipt which I lost. What should I do? Thanks.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 11:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 12:22 AM

Ventura is macOS 13 not 15 and the latest iteration is 13.6.

Page down to the part for a padlock on the screen: If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

There was no 2016 iMac but the 2015 and 2017 models are still supported by Apple per Mactracker; Apple may still service it. But I'm just guessing about the age as you did not definitively say what year Mac it is.

If your Mac is activation locked, Apple requires proof of ownership to unlock it, but not just to service it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 24, 2023 12:22 AM in response to tango2u

Ventura is macOS 13 not 15 and the latest iteration is 13.6.

Page down to the part for a padlock on the screen: If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

There was no 2016 iMac but the 2015 and 2017 models are still supported by Apple per Mactracker; Apple may still service it. But I'm just guessing about the age as you did not definitively say what year Mac it is.

If your Mac is activation locked, Apple requires proof of ownership to unlock it, but not just to service it.

Sep 24, 2023 2:20 AM in response to tango2u

If the user is referring to image below.

This is a Firmware Password

Yes it will require the Original Receipt of Purchase before Apple will even Look at the Computer

" If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase. "

A lock icon on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.