Transferring all windows, PC data to new Mac air

1) Do I have to install my existing Microsoft applications onto my new Mac Air, before I transfer my files from my old PC?

2) when trying to add an existing email to my new outlook on my Mac air, I get an error. I don’t know why, although I use the correct Pop settings. Someone please help 🙏

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 11:44 AM

Ku4hx's advice is spot on...I'll just be adding to it here:

• You'll want to decide if you need to continue using MS 360 apps or shift to the free Mac counterparts that are automatically installed when you set up your new Mac. (Did I mention that Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free?)
  • If you want to continue using the MS 360 apps, you may need to uninstall them if they're not optimized for Apple Silicon (but only do so after going to the MS site and deauthorizing your old PC). Then go to the Apple App Store and download/install the MS 360 apps...this way you'll be assured of downloading the correct version. Upon first launch you'll need to enter your MS credentials to authorize the newly installed apps.
  • You'll want to decide if you want to continue using Outlook or shift to Apple Mail for Email, Contacts for all your addresses, and Calendar for your scheduling needs. If you're set on using Outlook, you may need to contact MS support if your email's not working properly in that app. If you want to use Apple Mail, this Apple Support article may help: Add Email Accounts to Apple Mail

Hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 11:44 AM in response to Jaws21

Ku4hx's advice is spot on...I'll just be adding to it here:

• You'll want to decide if you need to continue using MS 360 apps or shift to the free Mac counterparts that are automatically installed when you set up your new Mac. (Did I mention that Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free?)
  • If you want to continue using the MS 360 apps, you may need to uninstall them if they're not optimized for Apple Silicon (but only do so after going to the MS site and deauthorizing your old PC). Then go to the Apple App Store and download/install the MS 360 apps...this way you'll be assured of downloading the correct version. Upon first launch you'll need to enter your MS credentials to authorize the newly installed apps.
  • You'll want to decide if you want to continue using Outlook or shift to Apple Mail for Email, Contacts for all your addresses, and Calendar for your scheduling needs. If you're set on using Outlook, you may need to contact MS support if your email's not working properly in that app. If you want to use Apple Mail, this Apple Support article may help: Add Email Accounts to Apple Mail

Hope this helps.

Sep 25, 2023 9:19 AM in response to MacMikeInOK

Ku4hX: I have multiple accounts with various OSP's. I did get to solve that problem. I downloaded the Mail removal tool from MS and that erased all the Outlook files. After running the Outlook removal tool, I was able to add a new account, although it didn't allow me to secure sockets Layer (SSL) settings. I'll deal with that later.

MacMikeinOK: I like the idea of keeping my information on my local machine, although it's nice to use a Citrix type

of format. I did see those installed applications on my MacAir, but I love the MS apps. I decided to purchase MS Office & Business from the eBay site, which will give me all the missing MS apps. I will have to find my old "Office mail file (.pst) and do the old copy and Paste to retrieve my old mailboxes. Unless there is a way to restore it from my iCloud????

Thaks to both of you for all your help.

JAWS21

Transferring all windows, PC data to new Mac air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.