iPhotos wiped all my photos - Is there an easy way to get them back??

All 38k of my photos have been moved to recently deleted without me doing or changing anything on icloud photos or my iphone, and with plenty of space available. I just started getting a pop up on icloud on my PC saying photos had been deleted, but I hadn't done anything or updated anything to make it happen.

Is there a simple way to recover them all? Icloud keeps crashing every time I try.

And can anyone explain what happened?

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 5:38 AM

Yes I found them, thanks. There's a lot there so having to recover them in small batches, quite time consuming.

But I didn't delete my photos, thanks. My iPhone was locked, charging in another room and I was playing a game on my computer when a warning popped up from iCloud saying my deleted photos were now in Recently Deleted. I opened up iCloud photos to literally watch them all being deleted and appearing in the Recently Deleted in chunks, without being able to do anything about it. Which then replicated on my iPhone. I made no inputs at any point on my phone or my PC.

It's solvable so not a bit problem but I'd like to know what happened so it doesn't happen again!!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2023 5:38 AM in response to muguy

Yes I found them, thanks. There's a lot there so having to recover them in small batches, quite time consuming.

But I didn't delete my photos, thanks. My iPhone was locked, charging in another room and I was playing a game on my computer when a warning popped up from iCloud saying my deleted photos were now in Recently Deleted. I opened up iCloud photos to literally watch them all being deleted and appearing in the Recently Deleted in chunks, without being able to do anything about it. Which then replicated on my iPhone. I made no inputs at any point on my phone or my PC.

It's solvable so not a bit problem but I'd like to know what happened so it doesn't happen again!!

Mar 9, 2024 7:24 AM in response to TomShepherd

This happened to me this past week—and just like you said—I hadn’t deleted anything!

I hadn’t used my laptop in weeks, turned it on and pop-ups began. I just kept closing the pop-up without reading thinking it was updating or something and then saw it said my photos were deleting from all my devices!

It was doing it randomly—each batch contained unrelated photos from all different times.

I recovered them all, however, it started again today about 30 minutes after I turned on my laptop. I probably wouldn’t have noticed, but I was keeping an eye on my photos on my phone and iPad. No iCloud popup this time but I could see on my phone that 83 random photos were placed in the deleted folder (which was previously empty).

So apparently just restoring the photos is not a fix. What’s going on?

Also, when I open iCloud using the tray icon, the iCloud Photos settings menu overlays the main ICloud app screen and the photo menu overlay can’t be closed without closing the main iCloud app screen.

There’s got to be more to this.

iPhotos wiped all my photos - Is there an easy way to get them back??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.