Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Weather Complication Does Not Work 'Current Location'

I just got the Apple Watch Ultra 2. Yeah. But I noticed that the weather complication does not work when I set the default location to 'current location'. I the complication is empty on the watch face. When I set it to one of the cities in the list it works.

Coincidentally I do not see the location services indication in the Control Center. On my old watch there was a blue triangular icon next to the phone pairing icon on top. I checked setting and location services are enabled.

Apple Watch Ultra 2

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 2:11 PM

I have the same issue. I do not even see "Current Location" as an option for Default City when selecting on the Weather app on Ultra 2. The Weather/Watch app on my phone has Default City set to Current Location, but Current Location is not displayed in the Weather app on the Ultra 2. No issue with my Series 9, or with my old watches that I am trading in. All running the same WatchOS and connected to the same iPhone (14 ProMax) on 17.0.1.

I have cycled the power, forced restart, and un-paired and re-paired...no change.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 2:11 PM in response to caryfromchicago

I have the same issue. I do not even see "Current Location" as an option for Default City when selecting on the Weather app on Ultra 2. The Weather/Watch app on my phone has Default City set to Current Location, but Current Location is not displayed in the Weather app on the Ultra 2. No issue with my Series 9, or with my old watches that I am trading in. All running the same WatchOS and connected to the same iPhone (14 ProMax) on 17.0.1.

I have cycled the power, forced restart, and un-paired and re-paired...no change.

Sep 24, 2023 3:01 PM in response to Branta_uk

Thank you. I will be contacting Apple Support to inform them of the glitch. I do not know if this is a GPS position issue, as it's not that the Ultra 2 is not identifying the Current Location correctly, it's that Weather app/widget does not show/offer the Default City option of Current Location. This is only on the watch. Default City of Current Location does show in the watch app on the phone.

Sep 25, 2023 7:16 AM in response to caryfromchicago

I'm getting the same issue, no weather widgets are working on my Apple Watch ultra 2 but the weather app works fine.

I'm also getting problems when using maps with the distance to a destination not updating as I'm moving, so it misses turns, the distance updates when I'm looking at the watch but when I turn it away from me it stops and the distance, for instance '1.2miles' changes to '--'. When I look back even if I've moved 1 mile it will say '1.2miles' for a second before it updates. This means I miss some buzzes for upcoming turns.

Sep 27, 2023 6:04 AM in response to caryfromchicago

I was having the same issue in my Ultra 1, I discovered that if I turn my Bluetooth off and have the watch just on cellular the option for current location comes up and you are able to select it, and the complication works after that, it could be a bug in the new software update as I wasn’t having this issue on watchOS 9 but this seems to fix the issue

Sep 27, 2023 5:48 PM in response to Hvywght

I am no Longer having the issue with the Ultra 2, in that I can see “Current Location” as the selection in the Weather app, when the same selection is made for the Default City in the Watch app on the iPhone. On the 9, I still do not see “Current Location” in the Weather app on the watch when the same Default City is selected in the Watch app on the iPhone. The complication shows current location with the location arrow and shows the temp, etc. When I change the Default City for the complication in the Watch app on the iPhone, from city to city, the same appears in the Weather app on the Watch. However, when I select the Default City as “Current Location” in the Watch app on the iPhone, the Weather app on the Watch does not display that selection. It still appears to be broken. Happy that the complication appears to be working on the Watch, but there is still an issue, perhaps display only. I won’t be sure until I go out and travel to another location and see if it responds correctly.

Oct 23, 2023 6:18 PM in response to caryfromchicago

Received my new Ultra 2 today and ran into this issue. For me, setting the time settings on my phone to automatic, instead of manual, did the trick. I had changed the time setting to manual to lie to my phone to get it to resume an update to iOS 17.0 and had forgotten to reset it to automatic. I had lied to my phone that it was "tomorrow" instead of today. Flipping it back to automatic took care of it.

Just another thing to check.

Jan 28, 2024 4:31 AM in response to caryfromchicago

I worked around this issue by opening the weather app preferences on the Watch app on my iPhone. Changed default location to “whatever city you want to see” and unchecked “mirror my phone”. The location updates in a few minutes on the watch and then you can set it back to “mirror my phone”. Doesn’t change back to whatever location it was set to previously.

Weather Complication Does Not Work 'Current Location'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.