Possible phishing scam?

I was reading a article then a window popped up telling me I had a Trojan virus on my phone affecting 17% of my data. This is a scam right? It was a window that appeared to be from Apple security it said “virus detected by apple” it had click button that said “remove virus” but then led to App Store to download a new app. This is a phishing scam right? Does apple do that pop up a Screen when a virus is detected.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 12:01 PM

All such messages are scams presented by criminals. Close the offending page and avoid sites that are involved in such bogus advertising tactics. Do not download anything based on such bogus messages.

Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popup… - Apple Community

6 replies

Sep 24, 2023 12:02 PM in response to BlueJeanMama80

No. Apple does no such thing. And neither can anyone else as it's impossible to see what's on a remote computer through a web browser.

What they were attempting to do was get you to purchase worthless software. You should report the attempted scam to Apple as the developer should have their account revoked and all of their items removed from the App Store.

Sep 24, 2023 12:39 PM in response to Kurt Lang

With tech support scams where the message directs the user to call a phone number, the criminals often hope to scam the victim out of much more than the price of some worthless software.

Once the “helpful” “tech support people” get the victim to provide billing information, they can try to take much more money than they tell the victim about. As well as selling the information (and the lead on who to scam) to other criminals.

Possible phishing scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.