Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Accidently deleted all my gmail emails from my mac mail account....is there hope for recovery?

Gone are 17K+ gmail emails from my Mac mail account which also deleted them from the Google (gmail) account. HOWEVER, I use Time Machine daily to backup my entire MacBook Air. Do I have a chance to recover those gmail emails using Time Machine and HOW can I accomplish this? Maybe since they are no longer on the current gmail account, I have no chance, but thought I would inquire. Thanks, in advance, for any help on this!

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 12:58 PM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2024 10:05 AM in response to danlinge

To attempt email recovery from Time Machine backups, connect the backup disk to your MacBook Air and open the Time Machine application. Navigate to the Mail folder within the Library directory in your user folder, using Time Machine to locate data from before the emails were deleted. Select the Mail folder and restore it, being careful not to overwrite current Mail data. After restoring, open the Mail application to view the recovered emails; if not visible, manually import them. Finally, ensure the emails sync back to your Gmail account for accessibility across devices.

Accidently deleted all my gmail emails from my mac mail account....is there hope for recovery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.