Low volume sound for iPad Air 5

Hi! I am a bit concerned with my iPad Air 5 speakers. The upper speakers (when in landscape) is not that loud compared to the other two lower speakers. I noticed it when I try to listen each of the speakers while the music is on.

Is this really natural or something is wrong with my iPad? I tried to surf on the internet and some says that the other speakers serve as amplifiers?

Thank you for your response, in advance

iPad Air

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 4:07 PM

Don’t be fooled by your iPad Air seemingly having four speaker grilles. Your iPad Air has only two speakers - not four as found in models of iPad Pro.

Recent models of iPad Air have one speaker at top and bottom - such that what viewed in Landscape orientation, you will have a left/right stereo pair.

You can verify and compare iPad specifications here:

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/?modelList=ipad-pro-12-9-6th-gen,ipad-air-5th-gen,ipad-air-4th-gen

As a point of interest, older models of iPad Air had two speakers on the bottom edge of the iPad - one placed either side of the Lightning port. For these models, with the iPad positioned in Landscape orientation, both speakers were to one side of the screen.

If the audio level differs substantially, check the audio balance settings:

Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Balance

Should you suspect that you have a hardware issue, you would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad - and should a fault be confirmed, you can explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2023 4:07 PM in response to itsjustme—

Don’t be fooled by your iPad Air seemingly having four speaker grilles. Your iPad Air has only two speakers - not four as found in models of iPad Pro.

Recent models of iPad Air have one speaker at top and bottom - such that what viewed in Landscape orientation, you will have a left/right stereo pair.

You can verify and compare iPad specifications here:

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/?modelList=ipad-pro-12-9-6th-gen,ipad-air-5th-gen,ipad-air-4th-gen

As a point of interest, older models of iPad Air had two speakers on the bottom edge of the iPad - one placed either side of the Lightning port. For these models, with the iPad positioned in Landscape orientation, both speakers were to one side of the screen.

If the audio level differs substantially, check the audio balance settings:

Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Balance

Should you suspect that you have a hardware issue, you would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad - and should a fault be confirmed, you can explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 24, 2023 3:26 PM in response to itsjustme—

Have you tried it when it is in other orientations? Does it sound the same at that point? If you try it in reversing the Landscape Orientation so the Siri/Wake button is on the other side and the volume buttons are on the other side see if at this point it would be the lower speakers are quieter. If it is still the top, then you’re going to know that it is a software thing and is doing it for sound optimization. If it is still doing it in now what would be the lower speakers, then I would suggest making a reservation at a Genius Bar and having someone take a look at it and suggest what would be the next course of action in getting it fixed.

Also, have you checked to see if it is only when playing music? If there is something else that you are doing like movies or things like that this could also give you an indication if it is all the time or if it was just something that was just for that application.

Low volume sound for iPad Air 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.