What does "Verifying python 3 framework..." message mean on Monterey 12.6.8?

Running Monterey 12.6.8 on early 2015 MacBook, got a message pop up "Verifying python 3 framework..." It closed itself before I could close it , or take a screenshot. Anybody know what this is? I don't use python, and as far as I know it's not installed.

I had Safari open watching Youtube, and running Mac Numbers in background.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2024 6:12 AM

Dave_Blinz wrote:

As usual, no one here is bothering to explain what Python actually is. Thanks for the run around Apple

Nobody asked. Attempting to tell people something they didn't specifically ask about often elicits a very negative reaction.

Also, Apple isn't here. We are just regular chumps.

Similar questions

13 replies

Oct 21, 2023 2:59 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi!

I am also running Monteray 12.6.9 on an older 2017 Macbook air. I did have to install command line tools/Xcode for running certain packages in the program R. I installed it via Terminal, which is I guess the homebrew way. For me, the pop-up "Verifying "Python3.framework" has appeared and will not go away. It is just stuck, looking about 98% loaded (see pic). I cannot exit the pop-up or cancel the process by pushing 'x'. If I minimize the pop/up is says it is from the "CoreServicesUIAgent". Any thoughts on what is happening? Python 3 is indeed installed on my computer under the folder "command line tools".

Thanks.

pic of pop-up that is permanently stuck open.

Sep 24, 2023 2:43 PM in response to neverender210

Apple removed the Python2 distribution from the operating system with the release of Monterey 12.3. Apple never installed a Python3 distribution with the operating system since that release of Monterey. The verifying pop-up is very likely Apple's XProtect checking that unsigned Python 3 framework that did not originate from Apple.

If you have installed Xcode, or the homebrew package manager, then the latter would have installed Apple's command line tools for Xcode and either would install an Apple Python3 (3.9.6) distribution. You would not receive any "verifying python3 framework" popup from Apple's tools though. Nor if the Python 3 distribution were installed directly from Python.org.

This suggests that you installed something whether via package manager or not, where either Python3 was included, or a package installation dependency caused Python 3 to be installed.

Sep 24, 2023 4:01 PM in response to VikingOSX

Alright, thank you. I somewhat understand what your saying, I'm not a developer, and have limited skills in C++, and other Windows stuff.

Nothing has been installed, but if we're going down the rabbit hole -- I opened an unactivated version of Excel over 2 weeks ago, and apparently Excel includes Python which took some digging, for me. Searching for Python in Finder returns 3 files, formerly created the 9th, now showing today's date and time:

index_8ceba61edb30c637224d774a3b44d863.js

main-client_0f4c10156aff2d5122f7f19b25fc3a64.js

index_46f7dae4b63df29efcbf1b51743fb80c.js

So those were tied to OneNote, and Microsoft Office Professional. Looking up One Note in Finder I have multiple duplicate copies of different Microsoft files.

All told, gonna be doing some uninstalling.

Thanks again.

Oct 21, 2023 6:10 AM in response to emccallum

Your post has nothing to do with the problem being discussed here. You installed Homebrew. These kinds of crazy problems are the inevitable result of Homebrew. You'll need to erase your hard drive and reinstall the operating system. If you restore from backup, make sure to avoid restoring any apps, software, system settings, or "other files". Just restore your user accounts and user files. To tell the truth, the way Homebrew scrambled the command line system, even that might not be enough. But at least you'll be able to use Terminal > Shell > New command to manually fix it.

Mar 9, 2024 8:30 PM in response to Dave_Blinz

Dave_Blinz wrote:

As usual, no one here is bothering to explain what Python actually is. Thanks for the run around Apple

Python is a ubiquitous scripting language and one that was once included with macOS but has been removed in recent versions, and now arrives with an Xcode IDE install (and that’s an older version of Python), or that is installed separately via download from the Python website, or potentially installed from other sources.

Here’s a free class on programing and Python from Harvard University: https://cs50.harvard.edu/python/2022/

A couple of housekeeping details, too… First, nobody in this thread asked what Python is. That knowledge was assumed, given the original question. And second, folks here are other Apple users, and some posting here are third-party developers. People that work for Apple may or may not read postings here.

Apr 19, 2024 12:10 PM in response to BestInTheBooth

BestInTheBooth wrote:

i have the same problem now. i can’t get "verifying pythON3.FRAMWORK” box to go away. clicking exit does nothing. i also have another box that says verifying CClibrary.app that will not go away either. exiting out will not work either. any idea how to fix this?

Install the current macOS Python 3.12.3 kit directly from the Python website, and try again:

https://www.python.org/downloads/macos/

If that fails, check with the Python maintainers, and with Adobe for Creative Cloud.

Why Creative Cloud is probably unrelated and why it’s getting modified is fodder for a discussion with Adobe. Maybe some Adobe-specific scheme for their updates?

Are any add-on anti-malware apps, add-on cleaner apps, or add-on security apps installed here?

What does "Verifying python 3 framework..." message mean on Monterey 12.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.