Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone 15 Pro Max Back Glass Durability

Hello, I’m interested in purchasing an iPhone 15 pro max, I have seen online that this model breaks very easily (back glass breaks with minimal pressure- JerryRigsEverything video). Has anyone else experienced this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 11:43 AM

I don’t agree with this at all. My new iPhone 15 pro dropped from my pocket, with a good case on, just like all my other phones have at some point and it landed face first. The entire back is shattered as well as the glass around the camera lenses and the back never even touched the ground in the fall(front was 100% fine). This would not have happened with my other iPhones. I have been extremely underwhelmed by this phone and regret the purchase.

222 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 11:43 AM in response to KMck2

I don’t agree with this at all. My new iPhone 15 pro dropped from my pocket, with a good case on, just like all my other phones have at some point and it landed face first. The entire back is shattered as well as the glass around the camera lenses and the back never even touched the ground in the fall(front was 100% fine). This would not have happened with my other iPhones. I have been extremely underwhelmed by this phone and regret the purchase.

Dec 5, 2023 7:53 PM in response to Sphilpot

I totally agree with your observation of people’s lack of details in their comments. It’s hard for me to understand how and/or why anyone would even bother offering their opinion, if they are not willing to try and help the cause (TRULY “help”), by providing DETAILS of their personal experience.

i have previously posted more details about my 15 PM breakage in the comments, but I just wanted to encourage you to put a screen protector on the BACK of your phone too. (Yes.. the back, in addition to a case.) Even then, you will probably want to tie a rabbits foot to it for good luck.

I never egregiously dropped my phone in the 3 weeks I had it. I was at the gym one day and decided to take the case off real quick to clean it. When I did, I found the BACK of the phone was shattered.

if Apple is not forthcoming about this “Titanium Egg-shell” and help its victims recoup their losses - it would truly not shock me to see this become a CA lawsuit.

Oct 27, 2023 5:10 AM in response to Turtlelord3

I’ve been using an iPhone 15 pro max for just 5days now and my camera back glass has a nick already. I swear I didn't drop it. I never had an iPhone this fragile. 🥺 I bought it vs iPhone 14 because of its durability claims. Now all I can do is cry. 🥺 I don't know if I can ask for a warranty since they might suspect that I dropped it.

Sep 27, 2023 7:52 PM in response to Turtlelord3

I always eagdrly await the new iPhone. As a matter of fact, every cell phone I’ve had since the 4s in 2011 has been iPhone. But this is concerning enough to convince me not to buy the 15 pro max. I get it it’s an intentional destructive test, but when I’m looking at spending over a thousand dollars on a piece of electronic equipment, I need unquestionable durability. Therefore I will not be getting the iPhone 15 after having seen and read about this back glass fragility flaw

Sep 27, 2023 9:15 AM in response to kcasner

“The normal elasticity of stainless steel is 200 GPa, whereas titanium’s is 115 GPa. Because most of its alloys are more elastic, stainless steel often beats titanium in this area. Again, more flexibility makes it easier to mill stainless steel and make different parts.”

https://leadrp.net/blog/stainless-steel-vs-titanium-differences-between-these-two-metals/#:~:text=The%20normal%20elasticity%20of%20stainless,steel%20and%20make%20different%20parts.

Indeed the frame is aluminium, but the titanium is what the glass is in contact with, and the fused titanium increases overall frame rigidity.

It’s all speculation on my part of course. I’m no engineer. But it could explain how the regular 15 glass doesn’t break despite being easily replaceable.

Oct 6, 2023 11:43 AM in response to KMck2

My iPhone 15 Pro Max’s back broke after just one week. It didn’t fall or suffer any impact. This is surprising since I’ve owned almost every model, and this has never happened before.

This is the first iPhone I’ve had this type of situation with since my iPhone 6, which broke due to a fall. I believe the quality of the iPhone 15 might be lacking.

Additionally, the battery doesn’t last the whole day, unlike my previous iPhone.

Dec 3, 2023 4:42 AM in response to Turtlelord3

In less than one month, the back of my IPhone 15 Pro Max shattered. I had it in a Rokform $70 case, tempered glass screen protector on the front; plastic camera protector on the back; tempered glass cover over the logo on the back.

Sure, I dropped the phone... like everyone does, but not once was it from a height over 4ft. I have never had this happen to any phone I've owned, with or without a case or screen protector on it.

Quite honestly, I think Apple should take responsibility for this - as it is clearly a design flaw. Fortunately, I was paying for hardware protection via Verizon, and it "only" cost me $99 to get a new one; however, the time involved in this fix was absurd. The phone calls, insurance claim, etc, took me at least 4 hours.

Sep 25, 2023 10:27 PM in response to stedman1

I disagree.

In his videos, he compared it to the iPhone 14, same tests. Significant difference in durability. In fact, the 14 did not break and with more pressure.

Yes, it was deliberately destroyed, 1 test at a time… I’m unaware how else you’d test durability. However, the first test was the back glass. The rest of the tests followed, and most praised.

A LOT of other videos have emerged as well. Popular Mac forums have published articles too. Same observations, and more with the camera falling off after a decent fall. Never in the history of iPhones has this happened, under extreme falls (Off Rooftops).

Pure speculation; I believe it’s a design flaw related to the back glass now being removable, and it will probably be fixed on the iPhone 16.

OP:

If you still get the 15… you’ll probably like it. But take extra precautions. Like a lanyard 😂.

My opinion, find an iPhone 14. It will cost less, performance comparisons are negligible (see tests online), and it has superior durability.

iPhone 15 Pro Max Back Glass Durability

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.