Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Cannot Access Apple Watch Control Center after 10.0.1 Update

After I updated my 7 series watch, I cannot access the control center by swiping up on the home screen. I did a hard reset of the watch but it did not help.

Thoughts?

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 8:25 PM

All of us in this thread are experiencing the same problem-despite pressing the side button, control center will not present itself. Could we please have further trouble shooting for when the standard “press the side button” doesn’t work? I am in same position as well-this didn’t happen until the latest update and it is very bothersome as it eliminates the ability to use any control center function.

91 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2023 8:25 PM in response to Chris_V89

All of us in this thread are experiencing the same problem-despite pressing the side button, control center will not present itself. Could we please have further trouble shooting for when the standard “press the side button” doesn’t work? I am in same position as well-this didn’t happen until the latest update and it is very bothersome as it eliminates the ability to use any control center function.

Nov 28, 2023 4:43 PM in response to Bob3415

Bob3415 wrote:

I’m experiencing the same problem. Cannot access my control center the side button previously we used to swipe up. That was very easy. Why you’re making things so complicated for everybody.

Tap the flat oval side button (see pit)

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/control-center-apd06bc15da1/watchos

DO NOT hold the button, as that brings up the Emergency calling display.

As this is a user-to-user support forum, no one here was responsible for the change.

If you wish to tell Apple, then use this link

https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch

Nov 24, 2023 3:20 AM in response to Mtnmnn

Using my paired iPhone, I was able to customize the hand gestures under accessibility / assistive touch settings to have one gesture open the control center. This just gave my watch some more life, but between os updates that remove functionality and irreparable mechanical failures, this watch is on borrowed time. Shameful.

Feb 25, 2024 1:26 PM in response to Bohlund

Bohlund wrote:

People have repeatedly posted that the side button press does NOT bring up te control Center, it brings up the app switcher. Please respond to the inquiry after reading the posts so you know what the problem is. I have scoured this thread and have not found an answer. If you have one please share it, but stop telling us to press the side button. Thas the problem not the solution.

A) this is a volunteer forum. You are not talking to Apple.

B) you appear to be talking about the Digital Crown, and not the flat oval side button.

The previous Control Center swipe-up has moved to a quick press and release of the flat oval side button

Use Control Center on Apple Watch - Apple Support

DO NOT hold the button, as that brings up Emergency services and the power off icon.

Control Center should then show you the iPhone ping icon (find my iPhone), Battery percentage, Flashlight, Water Lock, Airplane mode, Alarm silence, Theater mode, and all the other Control Center services.

An alternate way to get some of the Control Center services is:

“Hey Siri, find my iPhone”

“Hey Siri, Flashlight”

“Hey Siri, Battery”

“Hey Siri, Airplane mode”

Getting the press and release timing just right can be an issue. You can make it more reliable by changing:

Apple Watch -> Settings -> Accessibility -> Side Button Click Speed

After changing this I never accidentally get the Emergency Services display.

“Side Button Click Speed” can adjust the press and release timing, so you get the Control Center display every time. Adjusting The “Side Button Click Speed” is also useful for Apple Pay’s double press and release. There is “Default” (sub second press and release timing needed), “Slow” (up to a second between press and release), and “Slowest” (up to 2 seconds between press and release). I like the “Slow” setting. And as I said, I do not accidentally get the wrong display.

NOTE: Slow and Slowest settings do not mean you have to wait a full second or 2 seconds between press and release. It just means you do not need to be super fast.

If the flat oval side button is giving you difficulties, then look at

Use AssistiveTouch on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apple Watch -> Settings -> Accessibility -> AssistiveTouch

can be used to access things like:

o Control Center

o Apple Pay

o Emergency Services and the Power Off icon (labeled “Hold Side Button”)

o and many other things...

Dec 3, 2023 6:05 AM in response to RIfather

RIfather wrote:

This “update” of a major feature in functionality makes no sense. The control center to get phone pinging or water locking is very important, especially for someone who may have limited use of their other hand or who constantly misplaces their phone, think older individuals. There needs to be an easier non-hardware way to access it.

Tell Apple via

https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch

The more users that send feedback, the more likely it will be seen by a decision maker.

Jan 15, 2024 1:46 PM in response to pequotpower

pequotpower wrote:

I have a Series 3 with the 8.8 update which is the latest for that Series. Touching the side button below crown only brings up "recently used app / all apps". Did the accessibility controls. did full restart twice. nothing works. please help. cannot prompt the control center to display.

For that version of watchOS you swipe up from the bottom edge of the Apple Watch screen.

Cannot Access Apple Watch Control Center after 10.0.1 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.