Updating the OS

This is a request for some advice, I am running a Mac Mini (late 2014, OS BIG SUR 11.7.9) I use iCloud for some storage which works just fine. The Mac Mini uses a 2.12 TB drive and everything is backed up using Time Machine. 

My question is, can I update the OS to either Monterey or even Ventura? If so what would be the likely issues that I might encounter? I need to do something as Photoshop is telling me that it will not run correctly in the current OS. Please help if you can.

Mac mini, macOS 11.7

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 11:46 AM

jefffrombedford wrote:

If I update to Monterey, will the new installation see and access the files stored in the cloud? Does the fusion drive cause any issues in the upgrade? Thanks for you help.

I know of no issue on either front.

All advised to have a current backup...

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite. 

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

—Back up your Mac  Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2023 11:46 AM in response to jefffrombedford

jefffrombedford wrote:

If I update to Monterey, will the new installation see and access the files stored in the cloud? Does the fusion drive cause any issues in the upgrade? Thanks for you help.

I know of no issue on either front.

All advised to have a current backup...

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite. 

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

—Back up your Mac  Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Sep 26, 2023 10:39 AM in response to jefffrombedford

jefffrombedford wrote:

This is a request for some advice, I am running a Mac Mini (late 2014, OS BIG SUR 11.7.9) I use iCloud for some storage which works just fine. The Mac Mini uses a 2.12 TB drive and everything is backed up using Time Machine. 
My question is, can I update the OS to either Monterey or even Ventura? If so what would be the likely issues that I might encounter? I need to do something as Photoshop is telling me that it will not run correctly in the current OS. Please help if you can.

How to upgrade to macOS Monterey

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

iMac late 2015 and later

iMac Pro 2017 and later

MacBook Air early 2015 and later

MacBook Pro early 2015 and later

Mac Pro late 2013 and later

Mac mini late 2014 and later

MacBook early 2016 and later

Monterey is the end of the line for your 2014

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, security updates 12.7 (21G816)

(September 21, 2023)

Updating the OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.