How to force Bluetooth recognition of Magic Keyboard for pairing when there is no way to plug in a cable to a wireless keyboard

Have replaced my old 2011 MacMini base unit with an M1 and hope to use existing mouse & Magic Keyboard. Mouse recognised but keyboard not and of course it has no means of using a lightning connector if no socket for any cable.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 2:22 PM

The final solution to this problem is that the MacMini has been tied to its previous owner’s accessories and to activate with a new set, Apple have advised that the former owner deletes his ownership of it by going to “find my Mac” and removing it from his device set. Failing that possibility, you need to produce a valid receipt for the MacMini as Apple are reluctant to activate under new ownership in case of fraud.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 2:22 PM in response to DaveMacMini

The final solution to this problem is that the MacMini has been tied to its previous owner’s accessories and to activate with a new set, Apple have advised that the former owner deletes his ownership of it by going to “find my Mac” and removing it from his device set. Failing that possibility, you need to produce a valid receipt for the MacMini as Apple are reluctant to activate under new ownership in case of fraud.

Sep 26, 2023 1:35 PM in response to DaveMacMini

Hello DaveMacMini, I assume you have checked you have good batteries? With your new M1 unit in Bluetooth Discovery Mode press the On/Off connect button on the upper right end of keyboard. What happens when you do that? Also see this support page for "Setup Earlier Apple Wireless Input Devices" toward the end of page.

Set up your Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, or Magic Trackpad with your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 26, 2023 2:01 PM in response to DaveMacMini

Keyboard batteries check out OK. When keyboard switched on it flashes pairing mode but mostly doesn’t complete, except once when it said to type the code appearing below- no code, nothing. Mouse did get recognised for use at first but not now. Off and on routine not helped. Can’t use lightning if no keyboard socket. Kinda stuck. I guess M1 is default Bluetooth on or mouse would not have been seen.

How to force Bluetooth recognition of Magic Keyboard for pairing when there is no way to plug in a cable to a wireless keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.