Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Disable Caps Lock Indicator on macOS Sonoma

A feature has been added to macOS Sonoma - the onscreen caps lock indicator.

While i am sure this may be useful for some, for me it is not, is there any way to disable it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 7:16 AM

This feature is not useful for most users. Some of us use Caps Lock for the following reasons: 1) while playing games, 2) writing code, 3) writing scripts or other documents that will require the function. APPLE PLEASE REMOVE THIS ANNOYING FEATURE AS THIS DOES NOT HELP WHEN THERE IS ALREADY A LIGHT ON THE KEYBOARD!!!!!!!!!

322 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2023 7:16 AM in response to richardm04

This feature is not useful for most users. Some of us use Caps Lock for the following reasons: 1) while playing games, 2) writing code, 3) writing scripts or other documents that will require the function. APPLE PLEASE REMOVE THIS ANNOYING FEATURE AS THIS DOES NOT HELP WHEN THERE IS ALREADY A LIGHT ON THE KEYBOARD!!!!!!!!!

Oct 9, 2023 10:45 AM in response to richardm04

Going to loose my mind!!!! It gets in the way constantly! there is plenty of code writing and other programs were I use cap locks to make it more efficient but I literally cannot see around the icon. Especially if you are searching for names in emails. They REALLY need to make this one optional! I rarely complain but I would guess that I have already lost 30 mins out of my day trying to get around the distraction of this fantastic new feature

Dec 20, 2023 7:50 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

The problem is that this is not a solution; it’s a workaround.

Don’t get me wrong — it was kind of the poster to put this up for others, but most users are not comfortable with anything command line. They want ease of use, which is what makes macOS attractive in the first place.

This “feature” should be an accessibility option that is user-controlled and either defaulted to Off or shown off with a yes or no to set.

When people take the time to actually post their frustrations here, they’ve likely been frustrated for a while and are moving from the silent majority.

The problem with this type of “solution” is that it modifies setting that can cause future problems when Apple implements changes to change the behaviour (which may be larger scale than just this).

Again, the poster of this workaround was kind to offer it, but these should always come with a buyer beware qualification so that others are aware.

Nov 30, 2023 4:38 PM in response to malfetis

I used this simpler, single Terminal command to disable the Caps Lock indicator (without disabling the caps lock function):

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist redesigned_text_cursor -dict-add Enabled -bool NO

To reverse you replace NO with YES. Don't know how to reverse yochees's suggestion, but once reversed, would be interested to know if my solution creates the same side effects, which I haven't seen, but perhaps don't understand.

Oct 23, 2023 6:18 AM in response to MikeBruner

MikeBruner wrote:

THE ICON IS NOT A FEATURE! IT IS INCREDIBLY ANNOYING.

This icon is a feature, just one you find annoying.

WHY CAN'T I JUST TURN IT OFF!!!

Because Apple didn't give you that option. You can let them know your feelings on the matter here:

Product Feedback - Apple

ONLY ANSWER HERE IS FOR PROGRAMERS. NUTS.

Pasting a couple of lines of coded into Terminal isn't most people's idea of "programming". Using Terminal can be a bit intimidating, especially to younger folks who never used DOS or UNIX but it's really not that hard.

Oh, an please, while it's still working on your computer, pay attention to the caps lock indicator. You mistakenly typed your entire post in caps. I'm sure you wouldn't want people to think you were intentionally being rude to us, your fellow users.

Disable Caps Lock Indicator on macOS Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.