My voicemail messages are going to my husband’s phone, too.

Ever since the last IOS update, voicemail messages to my phone also go to my husband’s phone, and vice versa. How do we stop this from happening? I checked our phone settings and calls are only going to the number dialed and cal forwarding is off.

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2023 7:51 AM

If my kids and I have shared an Apple ID for years how do we undo that so they don’t lose all their stuff on their phone?

30 replies

Jan 21, 2024 11:38 AM in response to Rachel 115

I have continually used Apple computers since 1989 (IIci) and this issue is more proof that Apple has lost its desire to make their products easy to use. I've been using iPhones since they came out, when there was no such thing as Family Sharing. It was NEVER a problem sharing the Apple ID... until now. Thanks Apple! Thanks for breaking something that worked perfectly fine, and giving me a homework assignment. I miss the days when they really cared about the end user.

Dec 28, 2023 6:40 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I agree with Jerry we should be a to share Apple ID. Sharing the Apple ID is a very convenient way to help family members and children who are not technically savvy and ones that lose their pass words able have someone in charge of the more technical aspects. The family organizer…well keeps things organized. The family sharing doesn’t let the organizer control the other phones. The toothbrush analogy is not applicable and just plain condescending. We are looking to figure out how separate the VM, not someone’s opinion. Has anyone figured this out?

Dec 11, 2023 8:22 AM in response to lhspsu

It’s fairly simple:

• Each user except the Family Organizer goes to Settings/[Apple ID name]/iCloud
  • turn off each of the sync switches; when prompted, choose to keep the content on the phone
  • Go to Settings/[Apple ID name] or go back one level fro the previous prompt
  • Tap Sign Out and wait for it to complete (you will need the Apple ID password to turn off Find My)
  • Go back to the first page of Settings, and create a new Apple ID
  • Go to Settings/[New Apple ID name]/iCloud
  • Turn on all of the switches to sync from the phone to the new iCloud

When everyone has done this, the family organizer follows the instructions in Family Sharing to add all of the family members→Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

When done all new purchases will go through the payment method of the family organizer.

Sep 27, 2023 3:49 PM in response to Rachel 115

Stop sharing an Apple ID. Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

Here is Apple’s FAQ: https://appleid.apple.com/faq/#!&page=faq. See the 4th bullet item.

And here is Apple's expansion of what I've posted→Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

Dec 28, 2023 6:47 AM in response to Wafer19

As long as you insist on sharing the same Apple ID, you CANNOT separate voicemail. There is NO solution. Either accept shared call longs and voicemail or stop sharing an Apple ID.

Are you aware, that while you likely have successfully turned off the number for text messages for whoever you share the same Apple ID, anyone using the same Apple ID as you, can without your permission turn your phone number on and start reading your text messages, without your knowledge or permission?

Jan 21, 2024 11:50 AM in response to Opinions4Free

Opinions4Free wrote:

I have continually used Apple computers since 1989 (IIci) and this issue is more proof that Apple has lost its desire to make their products easy to use. I've been using iPhones since they came out, when there was no such thing as Family Sharing. It was NEVER a problem sharing the Apple ID... until now. Thanks Apple! Thanks for breaking something that worked perfectly fine, and giving me a homework assignment. I miss the days when they really cared about the end user.

You are only speaking with other users on this user to user only forum. None of whom work for or are in any way associated with Apple. If you'd like to "thank" Apple, you can "thank" them here --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

I am curious why you think sharing an Apple ID with someone worked perfectly fine? Are you aware that even if you think you have turned off the ability for each of you to see each others text messages, whoever you are sharing an ID with can, anytime they want, turn them on their iPhone and read your messages. They don't need your permission to do that. They can delete photos permanently, which you may not appreciate. They can change the passwords to apps you use, making them unusable for you. They can change the Apple ID of their iPhone and lock you out of your phone. There are so many things which can go wrong with sharing an Apple ID. They could mark your iPhone as lost and ersase it without your knowledge or permission. There are so many consequences which can happen when people share an Apple ID. And Apple has for more than a decade warned people that doing so is NOT recommended.

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

May 23, 2024 11:50 AM in response to prawdziklogic

prawdziklogic wrote:

Hoping for a current solution to the old phone voicemail issues.
by now, apple should have made line code changes to swift, in order to distinguish number isolation.
please give me the news if the problems of everyone under the same iCloud account gets everyone’s voicemail was corrected.

There is no indication that Apple views this as a problem. They have repeatedly told users not to share your Apple ID as each update is intended to further make multiple devices work as if you are using a single device. This is intended behavior, so you can start doing something on one device and continue it on another. This has only been expanded to where you can now receive a voicemail on one device and answer it on another. To again repeat the point that multiple people should not be using the same Apple ID, here it is again.

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

May 23, 2024 12:11 PM in response to prawdziklogic

prawdziklogic wrote:

Hoping for a current solution to the old phone voicemail issues.

by now, apple should have made line code changes to swift, in order to distinguish number isolation.

please give me the news if the problems of everyone under the same iCloud account gets everyone’s voicemail was corrected.

ty

The solution is to NOT share an icloud account.

Dec 29, 2023 7:24 AM in response to GeeZ06

My first reaction when I read this comment was incorrect. I thought you were not being nice, but I completely misunderstood and appreciate the comment very much. After multiple threads on this topic and trying to help people understand the issues with using the same Apple ID on multiple iPhones and getting blasted by people when they somehow think we're responsible for their issues, it's hard to remain calm.

Take care GeeZ06.

Jan 22, 2024 5:36 PM in response to lobsterghost1

lobsterghost1 wrote:

No worries. Yes, in the early days of iPhone, people in the same family shared Apple IDs. We all pretty much did. But then Apple came out and said as far back as 2014 that this needs to change and explained all the disadvantages of doing so.

Yes, and we used to share Kindle accounts, because you couldn’t share content on different devices. You could “loan” books, but then you couldn’t read them while they were out on loan. But an account could have any number of devices. Amazon now has family Kindle accounts, but frankly, their setup is much easier than Apple’s Family Sharing. You just add another Amazon ID to your account and you can do 2 way sharing. There is no “organizer”, the members of the group are just peers.

My voicemail messages are going to my husband’s phone, too.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.