Didgitizing and editing VHS video tapes on my imac

Want to input my Home movie videos VHS tapes into my imac and digitize and edit them. Any suggestions as to what product to get the vhs tapes into my iMac. I plan on just using iMovie

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 9:04 PM

You would need an analog to digital video converter. There are a lot of them out there. I have never used any of them so not knowledgeable enough from personal experience to make a recommendation.

One converter that has been mentioned a few times on this forum is the Elgato. Check out this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-Capture-Digitize-iPad/dp/B0029U2YSA

Whichever converter that you buy, read its specs to make sure that it works with your computer and operating system.

--Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 9:04 PM in response to IndyAnna1

You would need an analog to digital video converter. There are a lot of them out there. I have never used any of them so not knowledgeable enough from personal experience to make a recommendation.

One converter that has been mentioned a few times on this forum is the Elgato. Check out this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-Capture-Digitize-iPad/dp/B0029U2YSA

Whichever converter that you buy, read its specs to make sure that it works with your computer and operating system.

--Rich

Apr 26, 2024 6:31 AM in response to IndyAnna1

IndyAnna1 wrote:

Want to input my Home movie videos VHS tapes into my imac and digitize and edit them. Any suggestions as to what product to get the vhs tapes into my iMac. I plan on just using iMovie

If you are running macos Ventura (or higher), I would suggest this:

https://www.diamondmm.com/product/diamond-vc500se-pc-and-mac-usb-2-0-one-touch-vhs-to-dvd-video-capture-device-with-easy-to-use-software-convert-edit-and-save-to-digital-files/

I had an older VC500 for Mac device, but the hardware is not recognized by Ventura. Diamond had put out an update (for "Big Sur and higher") but is still useless if running Ventura. I jfound out the hard way this morning (after not using it for a while) - I just ordered the same device linked above today.

I don't know whether the Elgato capture device mentioned above works under Ventura either - the system requirement specs for Mac say 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or later. That's been around for quite some time, but Ventura's security may have changed some way how USB capture devices work with the OS.

The Diamond device - once recognized by the Mac - uses QuickTime Player ("New Movie Recording") to record from what the VCR is playing back. I'm not sure whether iMovie has the same recording capability built in, I've never messed around with it in that capacity.

Steve

Didgitizing and editing VHS video tapes on my imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.