Bootcamp Partition Attempted Removal - Failed

Hello all, thanks for taking a look at my issue. I am running a late 2020 MacBook Pro 13", initially when I got the device I installed a bootcamp partition thinking that I was going to need to use Windows from time to time, I ended up hardly using it and partitioning about half of my SSD (512GB) to this. Fast forward to today, I am running out of space on my main Mac partition and so I decided to use BootCamp Assistant to remove my bootcamp partition.

The Bootcamp Partition removal ended up failing, the Assistant recommended that I run First-Aid on the disk using the disk utility. I booted up into Recovery and attempted to run first aid on all volumes / partitions and unfortunately this did not end up working in any capacity.

Now when I boot up disk utility, this is what I have (screenshot attached)

263GB of 'Free Space'. When I attempt to unify the partition to the MAC SSD in the recovery disk utility service, it returns that I have a corruption error on the partition and to run the first aid. Unfortunately this has not worked to fix this problem and so I am at a loss of what to do next. Hoping someone here has some advice as I would love to recover half of my SSD to be able to use it :).

Here is the error:

Thanks all and happy to answer any clarifying questions. Error report text is attached.

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 7:00 PM

When running Disk Utility First Aid, make sure to run it on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the hidden Container appears on the left pane if Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll through the report to make sure all errors were fixed....don't worry about the "warnings" since I don't think they will be addressed.

If there are still unfixed errors listed, then run First Aid while booted into recovery mode.

If the errors still cannot be repaired, then you will need to erase the drive followed by reinstalling macOS & restoring from a backup. How you erase the drive depends on whether you have an Intel Mac or an Apple Silicon Mac.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 7:00 PM in response to Soilworkgmbh

When running Disk Utility First Aid, make sure to run it on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the hidden Container appears on the left pane if Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll through the report to make sure all errors were fixed....don't worry about the "warnings" since I don't think they will be addressed.

If there are still unfixed errors listed, then run First Aid while booted into recovery mode.

If the errors still cannot be repaired, then you will need to erase the drive followed by reinstalling macOS & restoring from a backup. How you erase the drive depends on whether you have an Intel Mac or an Apple Silicon Mac.

Sep 29, 2023 8:32 PM in response to HWTech

Outstanding, thank you HWTech. This is what I noticed of my available options, the missing partition really just wasn't showing up and I then ran first aid on my available options and it didn't ultimately help when trying to re-partition.

Following your instructions this as able to show the large 'container' heading, I ran first aid on it, it detected several errors and addressed them and the container then became re-named and then I was able to grow my Mac partition to include the old bootcamp space. I had to run this in Recovery for it to work*

Really appreciate you taking the time for this response, saved me a trip to the Genius Bar, can't thank you enough!

Cheers!

Sep 30, 2023 7:33 AM in response to Soilworkgmbh

<<. I had to run this in Recovery for it to work. >>

Disk Utility does not want to attempt a non-trivial repair on the "live" MacOS volume from which it is booted. Doing so could cause a fairly spectacular crash if part of the drive were to change dramatically mid-execution.

When you use Internet recovery, up to 25 additional RAM disks are created. You might see them in Disk Utility (but definitely in Terminal). This allows Internet recovery to run without even having the.Volumes on the boot drive present. Much more extensive repairs can be made without fear of "cutting off the Branch you are standing on."

Bootcamp Partition Attempted Removal - Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.