Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Iphone 14 Max Pro and ios 17.0.2 no sounds from text messages

IPhone 14 Max Pro worked okay until I upgraded to 17.x. Specifically, it stopped making text message sounds for incoming messages. I have tried restarting the phone, turning off notifications and back on, Bluetooth off, enabling and disabling haptics. Nothing attempted has been seen to work. Anyone with suggestions?

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2024 12:06 PM

Same issue for me and was definitely not related to focus mode being turned on, Bluetooth being turned on, ringer being silenced, etc. I would know for sure as I’ve been working with mobile devices for almost 7 yrs now and 80% of my job is trouble shooting customer phones.

In settings I had messages set to appear on Lock Screen, Notification Center and Banners. I changed it to Lock Screen only and immediately message notification sound was back. I then turned Lock Screen and Notification Center on and sound is still working. It seems that having all 3, Lock Screen, Notification Center and Banners enabled all at the same time somehow disables the sound, at least that’s what I gathered. Hopefully this will be helpful!

I still can’t fathom why Apple decides to release “updates” that essentially downgrade the functionality of your phone. Then they have to release an another update, right after to fix the problems caused by the previous update just ridiculous, especially considering what us iPhone users pay for these devices! Why not smooth out the wrinkles before hastily releasing an update that’s going to cause iPhone users problems? Obviously updates are necessary, but try getting it right first!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2024 12:06 PM in response to runnerhigh

Same issue for me and was definitely not related to focus mode being turned on, Bluetooth being turned on, ringer being silenced, etc. I would know for sure as I’ve been working with mobile devices for almost 7 yrs now and 80% of my job is trouble shooting customer phones.

In settings I had messages set to appear on Lock Screen, Notification Center and Banners. I changed it to Lock Screen only and immediately message notification sound was back. I then turned Lock Screen and Notification Center on and sound is still working. It seems that having all 3, Lock Screen, Notification Center and Banners enabled all at the same time somehow disables the sound, at least that’s what I gathered. Hopefully this will be helpful!

I still can’t fathom why Apple decides to release “updates” that essentially downgrade the functionality of your phone. Then they have to release an another update, right after to fix the problems caused by the previous update just ridiculous, especially considering what us iPhone users pay for these devices! Why not smooth out the wrinkles before hastily releasing an update that’s going to cause iPhone users problems? Obviously updates are necessary, but try getting it right first!

Jan 23, 2024 11:02 AM in response to nalinli

Yep, I’m close to going back to a Samsung phone again . I switched years back as apple kept screwing me over . The battery issue was the final straw . So i have been back with apple iPhone 1.5 years now and here we go again with phone breaking updates . My Lock Screen text notification sound stopped working right after iOS 17 . There are huge amount of posts with the same issue . This should have been fixed way before now . It’s only happening with locked screen text sounds . Never any issue with phone call sound . I end up having to turn off Bluetooth , not from the pull down menu . I have to go into settings and turn off Bluetooth . Absolutely no excuse for this . They have about a month to fix or I’m off to Samsung again !!!

Jan 29, 2024 3:09 AM in response to nalinli

I just want to say thank you so much to the person who lmk that after updating my software to ios17 that by having Lock Screen, Banner and Notifications on all at the same time that it would totally disable my text message notifications but by having only Lock Screen and Banner that you would begin to hear them again. And if this doesn’t work then only keep the Lock Screen on only. Thank goodness I finally found a fix bc I’ve been googling all night and read where some people had spoken with Apple techs who had given up on figuring it out so hats off to that one person who figured it out so I’m passing it on!!!

Oct 1, 2023 10:25 AM in response to runnerhigh

Hi there runnerhigh,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

We understand you're not receiving sound notifications on your iPhone.

If you go to Settings > Notifications > Messages , make sure that either Lock Screen, Banner, or Stack is enabled (as well as Sound).

Then, test to see if the issue is resolved. If it isn't, we recommend contacting Apple Support: Get Support

Take care.

Apr 23, 2024 8:20 AM in response to runnerhigh

I am so frustrated with this same issue. Have an iPhone 14 Pro. I have changed message settings to just Lock Screen only like suggested above and still do not have sound when I receive text messages. Missing important text messages. I have heard sound occasionally when my screen is not locked, but that is few and far between. What are my options at this point? Do I do a factory reset and see if that works? I don't want to do that at this point, but other than going into an Apple Store to have them help me, I don't know any other option(s).

Iphone 14 Max Pro and ios 17.0.2 no sounds from text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.