Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Display Issues

How do I resolve VFD001 issue in my MacBook. Last time in service centre they mentioned it as software issue after an month I’m getting the same issue

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 8:34 PM

According to this Apple article, the VFD001 error result indicates a GPU or display issue.

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

If the diagnostics report an error code, then it means there is a definite hardware failure of some sort. It definitely is not a software issue since macOS is not involved at all during the Apple Diagnostic tests. If you have an external display connected while running the diagnostics, then disconnect the external display to see if you get rid of the error. Unfortunately some hardware issues can be intermittent, so you will need to see whether the error code returns when an external display is reconnected.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 8:34 PM in response to harsh8321

According to this Apple article, the VFD001 error result indicates a GPU or display issue.

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

If the diagnostics report an error code, then it means there is a definite hardware failure of some sort. It definitely is not a software issue since macOS is not involved at all during the Apple Diagnostic tests. If you have an external display connected while running the diagnostics, then disconnect the external display to see if you get rid of the error. Unfortunately some hardware issues can be intermittent, so you will need to see whether the error code returns when an external display is reconnected.

Sep 30, 2023 4:00 PM in response to harsh8321

If you are receiving an error code with the diagnostics, then it means you have a hardware issue of some sort. It really is that simple. macOS & third party apps do not play any role when running the Apple Diagnostics since the diagnostics are booting to Apple's online servers & launching just the diagnostic app...no OS is loaded and only the diagnostic app is in memory.

If this laptop was under warranty a month ago when you had them examine the laptop, then I think you should be able to make a case today that the diagnostics are confirming the problem you reported previously. However, an AASP will not have the authority to make a repair exception....they would need to contact their Apple service contacts to allow the repair exception, but this is not easy for an AASP anymore especially if a month has elapsed. An Apple Store might be able to make the decision themselves since they are actually Apple.

You can try contacting Apple corporate to lodge your complaint to see if they will do anything for you since Apple online tech support is unlikely to do anything, although you could try.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

You can also check out your local consumer protection laws to see if any may apply or help you here.

Unfortunately most Apple techs seem to have only a very limited understanding of hardware troubleshooting if the posts on these forums are true. Most seem to only follow Apple's extremely basic & limited methods of troubleshooting which includes trusting in the Apple service diagnostics...unfortunately diagnostics rarely report any hardware issues. The best way for Apple to know you have a hardware issue is by performing a clean install of macOS which is where you first erase the drive followed by reinstalling macOS. It is important not to install any third party apps and not to restore from a backup since both of these things may bring back any software or configuration issues. If the issue occurs with a clean install under these conditions, then Apple should be replacing some hardware on the device. Receiving an Apple Diagnostic error code should also have Apple replacing some hardware. Of course they may not know exactly which part is actually bad, but at least they should be replacing something.

You neglected to mention the exact model of your Mac. There are some models where I won't recommend repair because they are known to have multiple known potential issues, or the model may be getting too old to warrant a repair. Some of it depends on how the laptop is being used, the software you require (if they need to be at the latest versions since some apps may not be able to be updated with some older versions of macOS such as 11.x Big Sur which just became the latest casualty depending on the apps needed), and personal finances. Generally I wont recommend a repair for 2019 and earlier models. 2020 MBPros.....not a big fan of them either, but some of that is just my own personal opinion from supporting thousands of my organization's Macs.

The general rule is if a repair exceeds half the cost of a replacement laptop, then it is usually best to invest in the newer laptop.

Hopefully you can convince Apple to honor the warranty if it only expired a month ago and you have documentation showing you reported the same issue to them while under warranty. Apple should have notes in their system about the previous examination even if you don't have a copy.

Good luck.

Sep 29, 2023 11:51 PM in response to HWTech

No external displays was not connected while performing diagnostics test. The last time when I had this issue the service centre guys said it’s an software issue not an hardware by that time it was in warranty and now it’s not and they are mentioning like it’s an hardware issue not an software and are like pay the service amount then will keep the Hands on and that will also include hardware charges idk wt to do now

Oct 2, 2023 5:00 PM in response to harsh8321

Hardware issues can be intermittent. Sometimes they may require a certain trigger before you actually get a failure. Identifying the trigger to be able to reproduce the issue on demand is the trick, but sometimes a hardware failure just be not be severe enough to be triggered regularly. It does not help, that any other connected devices can interfere in the process and with laptops you have the extra complication that they are portable devices where how they are sitting or being held can play a part, as well as just resting your hands on the palmrest a certain way, or how the display is sitting open. Trust me, troubleshooting & diagnosing things can be very frustrating for a tech.

Display Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.