Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

After the Sonoma update, downloaded files are hidden on MacBook Pro

When I download files in Sonoma, all files are hidden, I have to use command+shift+. to make those files unhidden, any idea about how to fix this issue? Every file(including regular image and google doc) downloaded is hidden, which makes no sense...

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 12:58 PM

Same issue. All downloaded folders and files from all browsers are invisible. Opening in Safe Mode did not help so it is not likely an issue with an addon. It is more likely an issue in the OS.

I can make them visible for a session by using the commands noted in this thread but some applications still won't see them (especially anything running in and emulation like Parallels.)

Started after upgrading to Sonoma and have not been able to fix.

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2023 12:58 PM in response to Lea0909

Same issue. All downloaded folders and files from all browsers are invisible. Opening in Safe Mode did not help so it is not likely an issue with an addon. It is more likely an issue in the OS.

I can make them visible for a session by using the commands noted in this thread but some applications still won't see them (especially anything running in and emulation like Parallels.)

Started after upgrading to Sonoma and have not been able to fix.

Oct 17, 2023 10:19 AM in response to Lea0909

Hi All,

I found on Reddit that it's possibly an issue with Google Chrome and the default download setting. I updated all of my Google Chrome profile download settings and switched them to save the files in my Downloads folder, and the files are no longer hidden.

Go to Google Chrome -> Settings -> Downloads.

I also reactivated my iCloud Drive Sync this Mac and Desktop & Documents Folders settings because I like sharing files between my devices.

Go to System Settings -> Click on your Apple ID name -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive.

Oct 16, 2023 1:42 PM in response to Lea0909

It is an issue for files (.pdf) downloaded with Chrome. Safari works; the downloaded files appear on the desktop.

Apple needs to figure this out. It's not about restarting, etc. etc. It's all about Sonoma and Chrome. I know people are trying to help with their suggestions but unfortunately many suggestions go into the weeds. It's a simple problem that requires help from no one but APPLE.

Sep 28, 2023 1:16 PM in response to Lea0909

Lea0909 wrote:

All files downloaded, including jpg, doc, pdf and ipynb files. They are not visible after downloading from Chrome. I have to use command+shift+. to make those files apprear.

I just restarted my laptop and tried to download a google doc file as pdf and a png file. They could be downloaded but they are still hidden files.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/5257ee07-0672-4533-952a-00aaa95d6db4

this looks a bit suspect to me... what is this cloud reference?

Sep 28, 2023 1:26 PM in response to Lea0909

Lea0909 wrote:

I tried to download a picture and a google doc, they all are unhidden files if I download with Safari but with Chrom, they are hidden files.

Sounds like a Chrome issue—for your third party

if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/updates/uninstaller

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Oct 2, 2023 11:15 AM in response to Kgoujon

Kgoujon wrote:

Where do I find this? I searched for Bitdefender and didn't find it.

Bitdefender is a third party anti-virus app which @alexanon has installed on their computer....that user made it seem it would fix everyone else's issue, not realizing that most people are not running Bitdefender.

However, their advice isn't totally useless since other anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, or third party security utilities could be causing a similar issue. None of these types of apps are needed on a Mac and will usually cause more problems than they solve. If you have any of these types of apps installed, you should uninstall them by following the developer's instructions....of course it is your computer so the choice is yours whether to run junk apps. macOS already has great built in security especially when the user also practices safe computing habits as outlined in this excellent article written by a respected forum contributor:

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

Nov 24, 2023 11:58 AM in response to octechwriter

Thank you !

A variation of your workaround worked for me using Safari:

• At top of Safari browser (toolbar area) - select the download button (Circle with down arrow)

A list of my downloaded files appears

• Select the file(s) name of interest (it becomes highlighted), then right-click mouse button and select "Show in Finder" - after a few seconds the file(s) become visible in Finder (Downloads folder)

Mac Studio M1 Max / Sonoma 14.1.1

Sep 28, 2023 12:48 PM in response to Lea0909

Lea0909 wrote:

When I download files in Sonoma, all files are hidden, I have to use command+shift+. to make those files unhidden, any idea about how to fix this issue? Every file(including regular image and google doc) downloaded is hidden, which makes no sense...

What files?

all the same file type?

Download how?

Maybe you can say more?

Have you shut down and restarted more than once since the upgrade?

Oct 3, 2023 10:16 PM in response to Lea0909

There is a bug with Desktop iCloud synching. You should disable it for now and it will resume working until Apple will fix it.

Go to:

System Settings --> Click on your name –> iCloud --> iCloud Drive --> Disable sync this Mac (choose keep a copy after you disable it).

Or you can just search iCloud via spotlight and it will save you the first two steps.

After the Sonoma update, downloaded files are hidden on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.