New iPad Won't Update

Brand new iPad Pro. Initiated transfer from current iPad. New requires update to iPadOS 17.0.2. Update downloaded OK. Clicked "Install Now". That was 3 hours ago. No progress indicated. No progress bar. No estimated time. Settings icon (gear) not rotating.

Both iPads connected to wifi. Both iPads connected to power. I give up, what am I supposed to do?

iPad

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 7:10 AM

The problem was that I couldn't update the OS to 17.0.2. New iPad is 16.6, current is 17.0.2. You can't transfer or iCloud restore from current device to new unless operating system version matches.

Here's how I fixed the issue.

1) Setup new iPad ( without transfer or restore )

2) Upgrade new iPad to iOS 17

3) On new iPad, erase all data & settings

4) Proceed with transfer or restore

For some reason, upgrading OS does not work during transfer or restore.

This is the 6th time I've moved from an old Apple device to a new one ... and the 6th time that I've encountered errors moving apps, data, and settings to the new device.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 7:10 AM in response to LotusPilot

The problem was that I couldn't update the OS to 17.0.2. New iPad is 16.6, current is 17.0.2. You can't transfer or iCloud restore from current device to new unless operating system version matches.

Here's how I fixed the issue.

1) Setup new iPad ( without transfer or restore )

2) Upgrade new iPad to iOS 17

3) On new iPad, erase all data & settings

4) Proceed with transfer or restore

For some reason, upgrading OS does not work during transfer or restore.

This is the 6th time I've moved from an old Apple device to a new one ... and the 6th time that I've encountered errors moving apps, data, and settings to the new device.

Sep 28, 2023 5:03 PM in response to TransferNeverWorks

If your new iPad remains unresponsive after several hours, something may have stalled. It may be necessary to perform a forced-restart of your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If iPad still doesn’t turn on, or if it gets stuck during start up, see the Apple Support article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t turn on or is frozen. Or if your iPad isn’t working correctly after you restart it, see the iPad Support website.

Sep 29, 2023 7:29 AM in response to TransferNeverWorks

You can transfer data to a target device that has the same or newer version of iOS/iPadOS than the source.

Similarly, you can restore an iCloud or iTunes backup to a device that has the same or more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than created the existing backup.

Put another way, you cannot transfer or restore to a device that has an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS.

New iPad Won't Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.