Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Volume Controls - based on Orientation - not working with iPadOS 17

Since updating to iPadOS 17 my ipad volume controls/ buttons do not match the orientation of my ipad.

The volume orientation setting normally means that when the iPad is vertical the top/ bottom volume buttons = up/down volume and when Horizontal the left/right buttons = down/up volume.

But now it doesn’t matter which way I toggle the volume control setting my ipad volume buttons remain the same and the left button (when the iPads horizontal) increases the volume instead of lowering it :(

I really liked this new volume setting and I am disappointed it’s no longer working. I only hope Apple patches this soon.

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 3:04 AM

There have been multiple reports of Dynamic Volume Controls not working, or unexpectedly reversed, after updating to iPadOS 17.x

For those affected by this bug, check that Full Keyboard Access has been disabled in iPad settings:

Settings > Accessibility > Keyboards > Full Keyboard Access > Full Keyboard Access - set to OFF

If this setting is already set to OFF, it may be necessary to reset this setting from OFF to ON - and then back to OFF.

For the benefit of other readers, Dynamic volume controls were introduced with release of iPadOS 15.4 onwards. The “logic” behind dynamic volume controls is such that regardless of the screen orientation, the relative function remains constant - as follows:

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a vertical edge of the iPad, the uppermost button will always increase the volume. Conversely, lower button will decrease the volume.

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a horizontal edge of then iPad, the button on the right will increase the volume - while the button on the left will decrease the volume.

For reasons known only to Apple, the ability to disable this feature is not available for any new models of iPad and iPad Pro that have since been launched - these models being:

• iPad Air5
  • iPad mini6
  • fourth generation iPad Pro 11”
  • sixth generation iPad Pro 12.9”
  • iPad10

This is documented within this recently updated Apple Support document:

Use the Home, side, and other buttons on your iPad - Apple Support

Apple invite submission of constructive comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback pages. If you would like to see the ability to disable dynamic volume control functions for your iPad, this would be the most appropriate channel through which to make your voice heard:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 3:04 AM in response to Bazzalad

There have been multiple reports of Dynamic Volume Controls not working, or unexpectedly reversed, after updating to iPadOS 17.x

For those affected by this bug, check that Full Keyboard Access has been disabled in iPad settings:

Settings > Accessibility > Keyboards > Full Keyboard Access > Full Keyboard Access - set to OFF

If this setting is already set to OFF, it may be necessary to reset this setting from OFF to ON - and then back to OFF.

For the benefit of other readers, Dynamic volume controls were introduced with release of iPadOS 15.4 onwards. The “logic” behind dynamic volume controls is such that regardless of the screen orientation, the relative function remains constant - as follows:

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a vertical edge of the iPad, the uppermost button will always increase the volume. Conversely, lower button will decrease the volume.

• When the physical buttons are positioned on a horizontal edge of then iPad, the button on the right will increase the volume - while the button on the left will decrease the volume.

For reasons known only to Apple, the ability to disable this feature is not available for any new models of iPad and iPad Pro that have since been launched - these models being:

• iPad Air5
  • iPad mini6
  • fourth generation iPad Pro 11”
  • sixth generation iPad Pro 12.9”
  • iPad10

This is documented within this recently updated Apple Support document:

Use the Home, side, and other buttons on your iPad - Apple Support

Apple invite submission of constructive comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback pages. If you would like to see the ability to disable dynamic volume control functions for your iPad, this would be the most appropriate channel through which to make your voice heard:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Volume Controls - based on Orientation - not working with iPadOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.