You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one turn off the annoying predictive words now appearing in messages on my MacBook Air?

I installed the latest update on my MacBook Air, and afterwards when I try and use messages, various words (they aren't actually predictive for me!) appear constantly as I write. This is beyond annoying. Soon we won't even have to think, right? These devices will read our minds and write our messages for us, perhaps even before we know what we want (or rather before they tell us what we are supposedly wanting).

Anyway, I digressed. I want to keep the spell check (!), but I just want my mind to decide what the next words are (not AI).

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 6:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 2:49 PM

Go to Settings (for the computer, not Messages app), then Keyboard and select Edit about halfway down beside "Text Input". You can turn off "Show inline predictive text".

Similar questions

5 replies

How does one turn off the annoying predictive words now appearing in messages on my MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.