When updating the OS to MacOS Sonoma, the system does not recognize the login and password

I accessed my Mac through MacOS Ventura with the correct password normally, even when it went into screen saver, I always typed the same password to exit it. I received an update proposal for MacOS Sonoma, I updated the system and when logging in with the new operating system, it does not recognize the name and password. I can't get in at all. It appears to be a bug. What do I do to be able to access?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 5:01 PM

I wish I didn't upgrade. Honestly, this is ridiculous!! I've been using Macs for over 20 years... this is a first and it's disgraceful to release an upgrade with such an oversight.

29 replies

Oct 22, 2023 5:01 PM in response to rodrigoeidam

Is having multiple users is confusing Sonoma when it asks for login password?

I am not presented which user I am supposed to enter the password for on my work Apple M2 Pro. There is another Admin user configured by my employer. I am also not offered the ability to switch to another user.

I am presented a screen that asks only for a password which fails continuously:

To successfully login on my, I need to:

1. Shutdown completely by holding the power button down until the shutdown occurs.
  2. Wait 30 seconds – for a complete shutdown.
  3. Start the Mac Book and see that I am present both a User as well as a Password field.
  4. Enter both my User and Password and login.

Oct 4, 2023 6:20 PM in response to rodrigoeidam

When I start my mac from powered off, I get the login screen with various users shown. I can choose my user profile (the main one) and log in as normal. But once the computer goes to sleep, either by itself or when I tell it to sleep, I cannot get back in. The screen stays black, even if I hit return on my keyboard. Before, that would wake the screen up so I could see the login screen, and if I wanted I could choose another profile. However, if I type my password and hit return, the screen wakes and it is in the process of trying to log me in. But right away, the pointer turns into the spinning coloured ball of death and the login is stuck and won't continue. At that point I have to manually power off and back on, and log in as normal.

I made the mistake of seeing if 'log in automatically' would work, and almost locked myself out of my mac, because then even when the computer was shut down it would get stuck on login upon rebooting. I fixed it by rebooting in safe mode.

I've turned off all my login items. I've turned off their dynamic screen saver. Doesn't work. It's their bug. It's really, really annoying. I hope Apple fixes this bug soon.

(also note, my username is already a single word, so rodrigoeidam's solution won't work. But my Apple ID is different from my username...)

Sep 29, 2023 10:42 AM in response to ped130

I managed to resolve it through Apple support. Basically MacOS Sonoma takes another username. For example, on MacOS Ventura, I used the name "Rodrigo Guerios" and the password. At Sonoma, the username was one that I hadn't used for a long time, it was "rodrigoeidam". So, it seems to me that for the new OS, you have to use the username as a single word. This way, it worked.

Jan 6, 2024 9:37 AM in response to rodrigoeidam

Hi there. I run into the same issue each month. Luckily it is right around the time I need to change my password for work.

The work around is to click in the password field but do not put in your password.

Once the cursor is there hold down the option key and hit return, this will pull up a user field as well as password field. (Alt + enter if windows keyboard.)

type in your user name and password, this will get you back on the desktop.

Then go to users and groups and change your password.

once password has been changed, restart the mac. You will then see your original user profile for the login.

if you cannot seem to get to the desktop and settings to change the mac password, then you can change it in recovery. Change Login password in

If you can't reset your Mac login password.

Oct 6, 2023 2:23 PM in response to rodrigoeidam

The error is "passCODE is not set" however has to do with "passWORD". I did not have a passWORD on my Mac, set one & was able to do the Sonoma update.

Shame on Apple for stating "passCODE" is the culprit when it is "passWORD".

There are several links telling you to update your passCODE for this fix; tried that & did don't work. Adding passWORD was the fix.

As most Apple veterans know, when you upgrade MacOS, you need to create a passWORD to complete the process, I always do & then turn it off (by creating a NULL passWORD) to live the simple life. Looks like I have saved that step here with the update, but I will eventually turn off passWORD.

I hope this HELPed...haha

Oct 5, 2023 12:18 AM in response to rodrigoeidam

I got into my computer after downloading Sonoma but when I opened Photos to downsize the wallpaper photo(it was no longer fitting into the screen), the screen went black. I had logged in with all my usual ID, chose to have my “existing” wallpaper, and when I clicked on “existing”, that was the end of being able to get into/use my computer. I have NO idea how to fix this, don’t know what the terms mean online about safe mode, etc. A primary reason that I buy Macs is that they are usually easy for a non-IT person to use. Apple, why did you release this too early? It undermines your customers’ faith in you. Not good for your brand, and this current problem is getting a lot of attention.

Oct 16, 2023 12:17 PM in response to rodrigoeidam

Yes, my situation is slightly different. I can login to my iMac, but after most (not all) apps load, the internet and wi-fi is prevented from fully access and chrome and safari have no internet access, but texting works. An alert to Login to my AppleID to access all services appears. I enter appleid and my password, and "we can't access the server" appears. I tried "forgot password" but it pretty much freezes since there is no internet access. Lucky I have a 2015 iMac I brought to work from home. I loads up perfectly fine and its clearly not the internet. I regret uploading to Sonoma at this time. I will try again tonight.

Sep 29, 2023 7:33 AM in response to Randall_2023

I managed to resolve it through Apple support. Basically MacOS Sonoma takes another username. For example, on MacOS Ventura, I used the name "Rodrigo Guerios" and the password. At Sonoma, the username was one that I hadn't used for a long time, it was "rodrigoeidam". So, it seems to me that for the new OS, you have to use the username as a single word. This way, it worked.

When updating the OS to MacOS Sonoma, the system does not recognize the login and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.