Is the Mac using the Shift-Space shortcut?

I have an app which allows a lot of customization by defining keyboard shortcuts. I had defined F1-F6 and noticed only F5 didn't work - the solution to that was visiting my Keyboard/Shortcuts system preferences and unchecking the box that mapped Show Desktop to F5.

I'm easily able to define Space to perform a given function, but not Shift-Space. I saw no shortcut predefined for Shift-Space in the system preferences - does anybody know if the Mac is hogging Shift-Space for anything?

I'm on Monterey using a 2019 MacBook Pro.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 4:34 AM

Which application is this?

As an example: Final Cut Pro does use Shift-space, which by default is set to playback in reverse, whereas space is normal playback; so in principle it should be possible to use this shift-space combination.

3 replies

Oct 2, 2023 10:18 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The application is Plus42 (https://thomasokken.com/plus42/). It's good to know there is an existence proof for ⇧space as a hot-key. For the Mac, I think the developer is interpreting the hot-key typed based on its unicode value but the issue (for the space character anyway) is that space and ⇧space both yield the same unicode so he can't tell them apart. I believe he's is looking into alternatives, I just wanted to rule out if the Mac had hijacked ⇧space or not and I think your post has confirmed that it doesn't Thanks.

Is the Mac using the Shift-Space shortcut?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.