Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Sonoma Calendar date format

Just upgraded to Sonoma (14.0) and Calendar is no longer respecting my system date format setting.

My system date format setting is YYYY-MM-DD, which Calendar previously respected. But it's now, when I press Shift-Command-T ('Go to date') it wants MM/DD/YYYY. I'm guessing it's getting the latter format from my region (Canada). But it should respect the date format.

Other apps (e.g. Mail) are respecting the system date format setting. have no individual application setting for Calendar.

Fix?

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 5:20 AM

Calendar and Reminders in macOS 13 and earlier did NOT respect the Date Format in the Language & Region settings. The reason you saw YYYY-MM-DD in macOS 13 and earlier Calendar and Reminders was because that was the date format Apple had decided to associate with Canada as Region in the Language & Region settings. In macOS 14 Apple has associated the date format MM/DD/YYYY with Canada as Region in the Language & Region settings. I'm not Canadian but have always used Canada as the Region exactly because it was the only one that was associated with the ISO 8601 date format.

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2023 5:20 AM in response to Adam's username

Calendar and Reminders in macOS 13 and earlier did NOT respect the Date Format in the Language & Region settings. The reason you saw YYYY-MM-DD in macOS 13 and earlier Calendar and Reminders was because that was the date format Apple had decided to associate with Canada as Region in the Language & Region settings. In macOS 14 Apple has associated the date format MM/DD/YYYY with Canada as Region in the Language & Region settings. I'm not Canadian but have always used Canada as the Region exactly because it was the only one that was associated with the ISO 8601 date format.

Nov 27, 2023 6:53 AM in response to Adam's username

As others have suggested, it would be helpful if everyone troubled by this issue were to submit their feedback to Apple. Here's the link. Under macOS apps, you can select macOS or Calendar. I'd suggest submitting feedback in both of these categories. You could say something like:

Since upgrading to macOS 14 Sonoma, when the system's region is set to Canada, macOS Calendar's date picker (command-shift-T) seems to be fixed on a US format, MM/DD/YYYY.

It was previously YYYY-MM-DD. It may be that Calendar has stopped respecting the system date format preference, although there are reports that it has never respected the system date format preference.

Some users have reported that this is affecting third-party apps such as Quicken, too — so it may be a macOS issue affecting NSDatePicker, rather than a Calendar issue.

The solution, obviously, is for Calendar (and other apps using NSDatePicker) to respect the system date format preference.

Oct 3, 2023 4:24 PM in response to Adam's username

The more I look into this, the odder it is.

My Region is set to Canada, and my preferred date format is YYYY-MM-DD.

If I click on a Calendar event it shows me the date in the format D Mmm YYYY. If I click on the date to edit it, it displays it (and requires it to be edited) as MM/DD/YYYY.

Makes no sense.

In macOS 13 it respected my preferred date format.

Oct 17, 2023 4:18 AM in response to Adam's username

I think I have a relatively good workaround now. Go to System Settings > General > Language & Region, and set the following:

Preferred Languages: English (Canada) - Primary

Region: Paraguay

Date format: 2023-08-19

It' important that the Preferred Language is English (Canada) and not just English because this changes the date format to YYYY-MM-DD on many websites, including icloud.com > Calendar.

Another tidbit is that if you have an Apple Numbers document containing cells that have the Data Format: Currency with Currency: Canadian Dollar, and you want to display those cells as $123 and not CA$123, you have to go to Numbers > File > Advanced > Language & Region... and change the Language from System - English to English and the Region from Paraguay to Canada.

Oct 1, 2023 11:19 AM in response to Adam's username

Also noticed this. It appears the issue is limited to the date picker widget — other aspects of date formatting (e.g. printing out dates) work correctly. But it will affect every app that uses the standard date picker widget; e.g. I'm seeing the issue in Fantastical as well.

Specifically:

1. The NSDatePicker widget does not respect the date format preference you select in System Settings. The format it uses is determined only by the language and region you've selected. (This appears to not be a new limitation — I tested on macOS 13 and it also doesn't change depending on the preference in that version, either.) Filed this as FB13221469.
  2. The format NSDatePicker uses for Canada has changed to the US-style "M/d/y" format, instead of the "Y-MM-dd" format that was previously used for Canada. However, the default format that Apple uses for dates for Canada is still "Y-MM-dd" everywhere else, so ... they should switch it back for NSDatePicker to be consistent (and, arguably, more correct). Filed this as FB13221502.

Nov 26, 2023 7:37 AM in response to Recycleur

Thank you, @Recycleur. Just to confirm that, with those settings, you are seeing the YYYY-MM-DD date format in the date picker in macOS's Calendar app? As you'll see from the thread, that's not the case for anyone else here.

Command-shift-T summons the date-picker:

If it is working correctly for you, could you confirm what version of macOS Sonoma you're using?

Thanks again!

Oct 5, 2023 7:34 AM in response to Adam's username

I can't personally verify the specifics of Calendar, but if @Westacular knows what he/she's talking about (and it sure seems like it), his/her first bullet point says that the reason Calendar doesn't respect the Date Format setting is because it uses `NSDatePicker`, which presumably has never respected the Date Format setting. Only people inside Apple know why they have implented their API in this way.

I don't have a workaround. I tried a bunch of different regions, but none of them fixed the issue. But I hope Apple accepts the bug report @Westacular mentions in his/her second bullet point for changing the date format `NSDatePicker` uses for Canada region back to the way it was in macOS 13 and earlier.

Oct 28, 2023 12:31 PM in response to Adam's username

Adam wrote " I'm guessing it's getting the latter format from my region (Canada)." The standard date format in Canada is ISO 8601, i.e. yyyy-mm-dd, and that has been the standard that macOS Region Canada has been for recent (last few decades or more?) macOS versions prior to Sonoma.

Sonoma is well mucked up on the date format. Most apps that have a date component is now broken.

Sonoma Calendar date format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.