Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mac pro doesn boot ... sometimes

Hello again

By hitting the power button of the Mac Pro one of the following happens:

1. the power-on indication led goes on, the cooling fan switches on but after 5 or 6 seconds it stops and the power on led also
  2. the power-on indication led goes on, the cooling fan switches on. This situation stays "forever" and nothing happens. No chime or whatsoever. Not even after 4 or 5 minutes. The only option is to hold the power-on button until shut down of the Mac Pro.
  3. the power-on indication led goes on, the cooling fan switches on and after about 10 - 20 seconds: "chime"! Screen flashes on and after some more 10 - 20 seconds the progress bar comes up and OS is booting.

Situation 1 and 2 are repetitive, so you have to power on several times and end in 1 or 2, before step 3 happens. This is far from being "normal" behaviour I was used to some 2 years ago; yes the Mac Pro hasn't been used for this long period.

So far:

1. I have exchanged the cmos back-up battery, which turned out to be not necessary at all: voltage was 3.0 Volt.
  2. refreshed the nvram
  3. exchanged the original boot ssd with another boot ssd OS

Nothing of the above helped. So I hope someone can give me (a) more systematic procedure(s?) to tackle this. Starting up the Mac Pro was a breeze after the exchange of the original (spinning) harddrives with ssd's: never more then 10-12 seconds and all programs up and running.

Any suggestions, please?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 10:01 AM

The reset button on the mainboard (if so equipped) does the same thing as the procedure I posted above -- removes all power to the Mac so its starts from Zero Volts, which is what does the System Management Controller (SMC) Reset.

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 30, 2023 2:04 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I waited until the next day, which is today. Mac Pro needed two times to power up and the third time it chimes. So, this feels more like a lucky strike than a change. Meanwhile a friend suggested to look for a SMC reset button which is located at the Mac's motherboard, just below drive 4 sled. Pressing this button for about 10 seconds should do the reseting job. I will try that and report my findings here.

For now: thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Hans

Nov 8, 2023 4:02 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

More than a month since I posted this question here, without any remarkable "success". One or maybe three times was a hit the power button and go, but most of the time - which is every day - the Mac Pro needs 9 - 15 kicks before chiming into "life". I cannot imagine that the 2 "sabbatical" years of my Mac has anything to do with it.

I think I must get used to it.

Thanks for all your support

Hans

Mac pro doesn boot ... sometimes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.