Message to Android via Mac Mini

I can send message to an android on my iphone but I can not send a message to an android on the mac mini. Please fix this ASAP

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 10:39 AM

Sending SMS/MMS text messages requires a phone.

You can send messages from a Mac by sending them through an iPhone. See instructions in Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

2 replies

Sep 30, 2023 9:54 AM in response to ervinfromripon

ervinfromripon wrote:

I can send message to an android on my iphone but I can not send a message to an android on the mac mini. Please fix this ASAP

This is not a bug.

SMS/MMS messages are a cell phone thing. The reason that iPhones, Android smart phones, and "dumb" cell phones can send these messages to each other is that they are all connected to cellular networks.

The Mac mini is not a cell phone. It can exchange iMessages with other Apple devices, because that system is designed to transmit messages mostly over the Internet. If you have an iPhone, the iPhone can act as a helper, allowing the Mac mini to send and receive SMS/MMS messages and to place and receive phone calls. The Mac talks to the phone in some way (over Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or the Internet) and the phone in turn talks to the cellular network.

Without the help of the iPhone, the Mac mini has no way to get SMS/MMS messages to and from the cell phone network.

Message to Android via Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.