You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download iCloud Photos as a JPEG (or original format) rather than a ZIP file on a PC.

I'm using the latest Firefox browser and icloud.com on my PC. It seems that something has changed recently, resulting in my getting even single photos downloaded as .zip files. The older solutions posted here did not work for me but I did find the place to control it. You can select your photos at iCloud.com, then click on the three dots in a circle to the right of the download and trash can icons. Then click on more download options line. You will get a box with choices for several formats to download the photo(s). Click on the download icon to the right of you choice and it will download as you requested. I don't know if the choice can be made permanent of not, but at least I don't have to fool with zip if I don't want to.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 12:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 2:28 PM

I have the same problem and right now am VERY sorry I chose iCloud as my storage for photos. No matter which "download option" I click on from the 3 dots it's still a zip file. Very frustrating. I want control of my own photos again. How do I get that? (Using Windows 11. Pics taken on iPhone 14 and autosaved to the cloud.) HELP please. :-(

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2023 2:28 PM in response to TonyTec

I have the same problem and right now am VERY sorry I chose iCloud as my storage for photos. No matter which "download option" I click on from the 3 dots it's still a zip file. Very frustrating. I want control of my own photos again. How do I get that? (Using Windows 11. Pics taken on iPhone 14 and autosaved to the cloud.) HELP please. :-(

Oct 9, 2023 10:14 AM in response to TonyTec

I'm not a photography professional, so I'm no sure what a screenshot is. I take photos using the camera. I have the camera set to capture in the most compatible format, which normally is .jpg. To see if I could understand your comment, I went in and changed the camera capture to the high efficiency setting. That would use the HEIC fomat (iPhone 13 Pro, IOS 17 with current updates). Saved a couple photos, then went to icloud photos to download them (I am using a Windows PC.) I go to Icloud.com, then select photos. I then followed my procedure above to download single photos. I did find an even easier way, if you click on the photo, there are 3 dots in the upper right corner. Click on them and you get the choices I talked about above. Attached a picture here. You can see them in the bottom photo. The choices are the top photo. If I choose Unmodified Original, I get a single photo, .heic if my camera is set for it, or .jpg, if my camera is set for most compatible. If I choose Highest Resolution, it will zip the photo, even if just one. It will be a huge .dng file if the original is .heic or .jpg depending on the camera setting. If I choose Most Compatible, I will get a single .jpg photo. It will convert .heic to .jpg. This is how it works for me to get single, unzipped .jpg files on my equipment. Just FWIW. Tom p.s., the lines in the photos are artifacts from taking photos from my computer monitor.

Oct 6, 2023 10:08 PM in response to tomnn2000

If the photo is a screenshot, then your solution works. However, if it is the original photo that you took from iPhone camera, it is still being downloaded as a Zip file for a single photo with an ironic HVEC extension after unzip instead of JPEG, JPG, or PNC extension. It is very weird with iOS 17.0 or above. Solution???

Download iCloud Photos as a JPEG (or original format) rather than a ZIP file on a PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.