Combined PDFs in Preview have different page sizes

I have a multipage PDF containing 8.5x11 pages. I scanned a new 8.5x11 page to a new PDF, opened both files in Preview and dragged the single page thumbnail from the new file into the preexisting file's thumbnail panel. The page was added to the target file and can be saved, but the newly inserted page image is much too large; I want it to conform to the letter-size pages in the target PDF. Not sure how to adjust the page or image size.

I'm scanning from an older HP printer/scanner to a Macbook Air running Ventura 13.5.2.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 1:35 PM

Combining PDFs in Preview is no assurance that the media box of the newly added PDF will match the media box of the existing PDF. In addition, you are adding a scanned PDF which is a simple PDF wrapper around an image of what you scanned which is different than the real PDF that you are adding it too.

Preview provides no tools to fix the irregularity that you report. A proper PDF editor might help, but you will need to pay for that as Preview is not a PDF editor.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 1:35 PM in response to walterfromloveland

Combining PDFs in Preview is no assurance that the media box of the newly added PDF will match the media box of the existing PDF. In addition, you are adding a scanned PDF which is a simple PDF wrapper around an image of what you scanned which is different than the real PDF that you are adding it too.

Preview provides no tools to fix the irregularity that you report. A proper PDF editor might help, but you will need to pay for that as Preview is not a PDF editor.

Combined PDFs in Preview have different page sizes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.