MacBook Pro won’t turn on

I replaced my battery and trackpad a couple weeks ago. My laptop has been working fine. Yesterday it would not power on. After playing with it a while it powered on for a couple minutes then it went blank. I can’t get it to power on. Any ideas besides buy another MacBook?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 6:07 PM

If your Mac doesn't turn on - Apple Support describes what to do.

From what you describe it sounds like the replacement battery you installed may have failed, which is typical of aftermarket (non-Apple) batteries.

3 replies

Sep 29, 2023 6:38 PM in response to PaulaGrandt

It really helps to know the exact model of the laptop since there are so many different models each with their own issues. You can get the exact model by entering the system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If you installed a third party battery, then that battery may have failed or is causing the problem. The quality of third party Lithium batteries is extremely poor even when purchased from a respected vendor such as OWC or iFixIt.

If it is a USB-C model, then there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

Press the Caps Lock key to see if the Caps Lock key LED lights up which indicates the system is powered on, but is not showing video on the display. This is the only way to really tell a USB-C Apple laptop is powered on since there are no other external signs since Apple got rid of the power/sleep LED years ago. A power issue is different than a boot or video issue.

MacBook Pro won’t turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.