Error 8072, repeated question

Hello everyone, I have already asked this question in this community and many others, I have read the answers but still have not found a solution to the problem. I'll try again with a screenshot app.

And so, back in May, I discovered that all the files and folders had disappeared from my desktop, although I had not deleted anything.

Now I will describe errors while the system is running.

1. When I try to create a folder on my desktop, I get error 8072

2. Even when I try to take a screenshot of this screen, the files do not appear on my desktop. I have to save them in notes and then copy them to other folders.

3. Previously the recycle bin was full, but when I opened it it was empty, I was forced to see what was there and delete unnecessary files; The files I needed were not on the desktop.

4. When I try to open my desktop folder through Finder, this is what happens

When I try to get more information

Same thing when I click on desktop or documents.

5. You can only save documents and files through the Finder or Desktop folder, although I repeat, there are no new or old files on the Desktop.

6. Now let's see what I have with device rights

I opened the download folder and clicked get more information. There seems to be no problem with access.

What did I try?

1. Disk utility like Disk drill and EasyUS to recover lost files, bought a subscription, managed to find only part of the lost photos
  2. I checked iCloud Drive, there was nothing there
  3. I used the disk recovery utility inside the Mac, but nothing helped.
  4. Reboot and restore in safe mode. also zero result
  5. Creating a new user to check functionality; all functions work for the new user, including creating files and displaying them on the desktop.

It seems like I missed something, I would be very glad for any help. Although I no longer believe that the Apple engineers themselves will help me, and I am beginning to come to terms with the loss of photos of my children and important photos, I did not expect this from Apple.

p.s. Updating to Sonoma didn't help.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 3:43 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Sep 30, 2023 3:57 AM in response to geter06

Was is presented in your Desktop Images is a computer already running the Sonoma macOS 14

Have just attempted to Right Click on the Desktop to create a new Folder and it works without issues

Perhaps you need the information in link below

Yes, I do have this Specific Feature Enabled when I tried to create a New Folder on the Desktop

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Sep 30, 2023 5:05 AM in response to geter06

Do not use Time Machine Backup ?

Hopefully a lesson learned.

Protecting your Personal and Non Replaceable Files generally means the Personal Files are Not Important enough to Protect. They can be recreated at a later time.

I use the 3-2-1 Rescue Plan

Having 3 Backups using 2 different Methods and 1 Backup Off Site incase of Natural or Un-Natural Disaster

Each of the 3 backups are done to a Dedicated External Drive and each of the 3 drives are used for that Sole Purpose

Error 8072, repeated question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.