Unable to paste Artworks to my songs post Sonoma update on my MacBook Pro

I just upgraded to Sonoma. I am not able to paste an image into artwork for my songs (song->Get Info->Artwork). Using the Add Artwork button still works, but that's an extra couple of steps (open Photoshop, paste the image into a new file, and export to png). Is anyone else seeing this issue?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 4:39 AM

Fix - or how to do it: Instead of trying to paste into the area where the big image is, past into the upper-lefthand corner where the little art is. When you click on that rectangular box in the upper left, it gets a light blue outline - hit paste!

11 replies

Oct 2, 2023 6:02 PM in response to DMWallis

Hello DMWallis,

Thanks for getting back to us with those additional details. Next, we’d like to have you test out this issue in a new user account. This will help us determine if your issue is system-wide or user based.

Here's how to create a new user on your Mac: Change Users & Groups settings on Mac

Let us know the results, and we'll go from there. Kind regards.

Oct 2, 2023 1:35 PM in response to alma1090

I had the same issue in safe mode. However, there is a little more to the story. I was updating album art, not pasting into an empty artwork entry. So, I first selected the existing artwork, and pressed Delete, which deleted the image. At that point, I could not paste from the clipboard. But I could paste over an existing image. If I then moved to the previous song while still on the Artwork tab, the Edit controls were disabled. If I closed that song and reopened the Get Info dialog, the Edit controls were once again enabled. It seems like you can paste artwork into a song that already has artwork, but not one without. (I also tested with a brand new song, which had no artwork.)

Oct 4, 2023 10:24 AM in response to nbotros

Same issue, but what a pain. No right click, no Firefox… I had to hide all downloads from Apple Music to see just the added song. I know how to change things but why bother with a user account I'm going to delete anyway. (BTW, the link didn't give account removal instructions, but I figured it out.)

With the ranting out of the way, I can attest that the inability to paste album art into a song without any is still there on a new account. Also, I experienced the issue initially on my M1 MacBook Pro. I created the new account on my Intel iMac. I saw the same issue on my existing user account on that Mac as well as the new account.

Oct 4, 2023 10:41 AM in response to DMWallis

Hello again DMWallis,

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done on this matter thus far. Since the issue persists, further assistance will be needed. We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with your Mac and this album issue, so we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support - Apple.

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities and have a wonderful day.

Mar 15, 2024 1:20 PM in response to DMWallis

I know it's a little late in coming, but another workaround (which I often used in earlier versions of iTunes — simply to avoid the automatic artwork and often album retitling* that has always seemed too glitchy and error-prone for a large library) is to simply find an image of your album artwork, save it or copy it to your downloads folder or your desktop, and when in iTunes, faced with either an empty or erroneous/outdated Artwork space, just position your finder and iTunes windows accordingly, and just Drag and Drop into that giant white void. (I know that upper left hand image replacement technique from the Finder's file Info boxes, but it's cool to know it works in iTunes, too. Thx for that tip. My hat is off to any and all who are hanging in with their years (decades) of accumulated music, which, for many, is not available on any streaming services. E.G., Selected Samuel Barber songs from a 1967 album featuring Martina Arroyo performing Andromache's Lament. Barber wrote the piece with her in mind, she debuted it, and I heard her reprise the performance living in NYC in the 1980s — such is the fate of recordings I had even purchased years ago in the iTunes store, which aren't apparently available on many services, especially if there have been more current recordings by newer artists. Oh, well. Small quibbles, and best of luck to you all — even Apple.

Unable to paste Artworks to my songs post Sonoma update on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.