iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 5:35 PM

Ejes1234 Said:

"Update my phone: My Touch ID is not working and I want to update my iPhone"

-------

I. Troubleshooting Touch ID:

If Touch ID is not working, then use the following links, in the order provided.

II. Updating an iPhone 7 Past iOS15:

A. You can't.  The iPhone 7 will only install to iOS15.7.9. See here: Update your iPhone or iPad Software if you're Experiencing Issues with Location, Date, and Time - Apple Support. And, for the note, even if you could update, only the latest compatible version will install.

So, what to Try:

B. Update Using a Computer:

Have a Computer Handy? If so, try using a computer to update. Use my User Tip Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. If any updates are available, they will install, sure enough

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2023 5:35 PM in response to Ejes1234

Ejes1234 Said:

"Update my phone: My Touch ID is not working and I want to update my iPhone"

-------

I. Troubleshooting Touch ID:

If Touch ID is not working, then use the following links, in the order provided.

II. Updating an iPhone 7 Past iOS15:

A. You can't.  The iPhone 7 will only install to iOS15.7.9. See here: Update your iPhone or iPad Software if you're Experiencing Issues with Location, Date, and Time - Apple Support. And, for the note, even if you could update, only the latest compatible version will install.

So, what to Try:

B. Update Using a Computer:

Have a Computer Handy? If so, try using a computer to update. Use my User Tip Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. If any updates are available, they will install, sure enough

Sep 30, 2023 5:20 PM in response to Ejes1234

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

• If you have an iPhone 5S or 6/6plus, the highest you can update to is 12.5.7

• If you have an iPhone 6S through 7, or SE 1st generation, you can update to 15.7.9

• If you have an iPhone 8 or X, you can update to 16.7

• If you have an iPhone SE (2nd generation or later), or XR through 14, you can update to 17.0.2

Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

This link will show you how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using WiFi -

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This link will show you how to update using your computer -

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

Update my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.