After Sonoma update, Photos shared album not updating.

How can I fix this WITHOUT logging out of my AppleID?

iMac 24″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 10:17 AM

7 replies

Mar 22, 2024 1:01 PM in response to georgefromsouthampton

Thanks , but why do we have to do this procedure ? Is Apple not able to have a cross-device iCloud synchronization that works without this kind of workaround ?

This would be much more easy !

I should maybe add this point : Sonoma is installed on our 3 family Macs since several months, and that we had (also with previous MacOS version) the same problem from time to time: sync OK with iPhone, but no sync with Mac OS.

Oct 2, 2023 1:39 PM in response to georgefromsouthampton

Hello georgefromsouthampton,

The steps below may be able to help resolve that type of issue with Shared Albums no longer syncing on macOS:

1. Go to Photos.app > Preferences > iCloud and turn Shared Albums OFF (leaving all other features on, such as iCloud Photos).
2. Wait a full 10 minutes.
3. Restart the computer.
4. Go to Photos.app > Preferences > iCloud and turn Shared Albums ON.
5. Close the Preferences window and wait a few minutes. Note: You may need to wait a full 24 hours before seeing all changes download.

Cheers.

Oct 3, 2023 4:25 AM in response to Eric_G1

Thank you for your reply. Problem solved.

I followed your suggestion, except the restart. That worked.

I was afraid that turning them off would lose them altogether - where are these behaviour documented? Needless to say, I did a Web search before I resorted to the Community.

It seems that turning shared albums off and then on after c. 1 min delay is sufficient to 'reconnect' them.

Mind you, it took a long time to rebuild them on my machine.

After Sonoma update, Photos shared album not updating.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.