Siri not working properly after iOS 17 update

had no problems with Siri responding to any of my commends before iOS 17. After iOS 17 I have to repeat all my commands 2 or 3 or 4 times.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 10:22 AM

I have used the following steps to troubleshoot and I'm still having problems. It made no difference and Siri has taken a major step backwards in terms of it's ability to understand my requests. Any other ideas? I had a couple of conversations with apple advisors and I'm still waiting on an Apple support callback from a senior advisor.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2023 10:22 AM in response to chuckbl

I have used the following steps to troubleshoot and I'm still having problems. It made no difference and Siri has taken a major step backwards in terms of it's ability to understand my requests. Any other ideas? I had a couple of conversations with apple advisors and I'm still waiting on an Apple support callback from a senior advisor.

Oct 2, 2023 4:00 PM in response to atv remote

Hello atv remote,

For difficulties with Siri the steps below may help:

1. Go to Settings.
2. Tap Siri & Search.
3. Turn off Listen for "Siri" or "Hey Siri," then turn it back on.
4. When the Just say "Siri" or "Hey Siri" setup screen appears, tap Set Up.
5. Say each command that you see on your screen.
6. Tap Done.

You can also find those steps in this resource: If Siri isn't working on your iPhone - Apple Support

Additionally, you can use the steps below to make sure this isn't related to a complication with one of your microphones: If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support

Clear the microphones
1. Remove any screen protectors, films, or cases from your iPhone.
2. Clear any debris from the openings of your iPhone. 

1. Open the Voice Memos app. 
2. Tap the Record button , speak at the bottom of your phone, then stop the recording. 
3. When you play back the memo, you should hear your voice clearly.

1. Open the Camera app.
2. Record a video while speaking at the top of your iPhone.
3. Tap the camera chooser  to switch to the other camera. Then record another video while speaking at the top of your iPhone.
4. When you play back the videos, you should hear your voice clearly.

Should that behavior with Siri still persist, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support: Apple Support They'll be in the best position to look into this further.

Take care.

Dec 7, 2023 5:07 PM in response to Lauracov

My microphone works on the Voice Memos and Videos/audios, but Apple Genius told me my microphones failed twice. I was advised to buy a new phone. I'm not sure I agree that Siri died and 80% of my contacts disappeared the day after the IOS 17 update but they events are unrelated and now my only solution is to buy a new phone. The genius acted like he never heard of any complaint!

Working with Apple support, I have tried to retrain Siri 20 times or more asking how's the weather - to no avail.

Weirdly, Siri did make one phone connection for me on Monday, but it's never worked again.

Siri not working properly after iOS 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.