Disk utility minimum size for a partition is much higher than the amount of data there is on it

I am trying to partition the drive, and I am only using 201/500 Gb of storage, but in disk utility it only allows me to access around 10 Gb to add to a new partition. It says the minum size ism 484 Gb. Is there any way to change this?

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 8:38 PM

Ackbarthechicken Said:

"than the amount of data there is on it: I am trying to partition the drive, and I am only using 201/500 Gb of storage, but in disk utility it only allows me to access around 10 Gb to add to a new partition. It says the minum size ism 484 Gb. Is there any way to change this?"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Perform Partitioning in Recovery Mode:

You are logged in as a user. So, perform this using Disk Utility while booted in Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon)

IMPORTANT:

Back Up the Mac First:

Prior to installing any mainient in Disk Utility, alway backup your Mac. Start by creating a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the partitioning. Go Here: Back Up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2023 8:38 PM in response to Ackbarthechicken

Ackbarthechicken Said:

"than the amount of data there is on it: I am trying to partition the drive, and I am only using 201/500 Gb of storage, but in disk utility it only allows me to access around 10 Gb to add to a new partition. It says the minum size ism 484 Gb. Is there any way to change this?"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Perform Partitioning in Recovery Mode:

You are logged in as a user. So, perform this using Disk Utility while booted in Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon)

IMPORTANT:

Back Up the Mac First:

Prior to installing any mainient in Disk Utility, alway backup your Mac. Start by creating a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the partitioning. Go Here: Back Up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Disk utility minimum size for a partition is much higher than the amount of data there is on it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.