Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Night stand mode - standby mode not working on iPhone SE 2nd gen

Hi - I have an iPhone SE 2nd Gen with iOS 17 and I can't get standby mode to work so I can use it as a nightstand clock. I'v tried turning standby on and off, and different settings in standby, but nothing works. Has anyone figured this out, or have a suggestion? Thanks very much for any info/advice. Regards, George

iPhone SE (2nd generation)

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 6:39 AM

Were you hoping that in Standby Mode, your iPhone screen would remain on throughout the night on an iPhone SE 2? For it to be able to remain on all night, you need an iPhone with an Always on Display, which is not a feature of iPhone SE. You can certainly put your iPhone in Standby Mode, but you need to either lightly tap the screen or jostle your night stand or ask Siri to wake your screen.

This is from the link provided above:

"With the Always On display (on iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max), StandBy stays on to show useful information. For all other iPhone models, it’s easy to bring up StandBy anytime by tapping the screen, gently nudging the table your iPhone is on, or using Siri."

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2023 6:39 AM in response to skua123

Were you hoping that in Standby Mode, your iPhone screen would remain on throughout the night on an iPhone SE 2? For it to be able to remain on all night, you need an iPhone with an Always on Display, which is not a feature of iPhone SE. You can certainly put your iPhone in Standby Mode, but you need to either lightly tap the screen or jostle your night stand or ask Siri to wake your screen.

This is from the link provided above:

"With the Always On display (on iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max), StandBy stays on to show useful information. For all other iPhone models, it’s easy to bring up StandBy anytime by tapping the screen, gently nudging the table your iPhone is on, or using Siri."

Oct 3, 2023 6:28 AM in response to skua123

Hi skua123,

We'd like to share some suggestions to help with StandBy. With the guidance Use StandBy to view information at a distance while iPhone is charging - Apple Support which covers the steps to do this and if you are on the latest iOS 17 version, it doesn't sound like expected behavior. You'll want to contact Apple Support if you still have this issue, so it can be further investigated.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Apr 2, 2024 8:58 PM in response to skua123

I also found through experimenting that if you turn off the SE 2nd gen and turn it back on and sign on, it will work the first time you turn it sideways. Then just say “hey siri” to get it back up. (Bumping the night stand may work, too.) But once you pick it up to use it, no more standby screen. It will flash when you turn it sideways but no clock and calendar. It will maybe show charge status, but nothing else. I’m thinking buggy.

Night stand mode - standby mode not working on iPhone SE 2nd gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.